Front Wheel Hopping For A Noob

I'm thinking there are probably numerous threads on this, but I can't find them right now.

I've seen numerous training videos on how to front wheel hops while staying in one place. Doesn't seem like they're doing me much good. I can stationary balance for a couple of minutes on a good day, but when I start hopping (whether from one foot down or from a stationary balance) I can, at the most, do about 5-6 hops before having to put my foot down. I'm definitely doing something wrong. Not only am I not able to keep hopping but I get winded after a few minutes of trying to get going over and over again. I imagine, if I were doing it correctly, it should use just a little bit of energy. I pretty much practice all this with the engine off.

Any suggestions re: lessons learned that I might not have seen in one of the videos would be greatly appreciated. I like the challenge of trying to improve and get this down, but I have to admit I do find it frustrating as heck sometimes. FYI, I've had the bike for about 2 months, and try to practice a little every day (though sometimes don't get to it).

Thanks in advance!!

Pretty tough going with the engine off. Personally I use a little clutch and power to aid hopping the front wheel, its not much and you'd probably not even hear it but it happens as with the rear wheel hop. I'd say your wasting you time with the bike stalled and its no wonder your tiring.

Hopping the front wheel is all legs. Short little hops are the best. Hopping though is not really a new rider`s skill set. You first have to learn to turn, and that is with your feet. But balancing and hopping are great indoor practice. Once you master front wheel hops, you should be able to do a 360 in either direction. Never favor a side in your practice. Good luck.

Its way easier with engine on, standing still is also easier with the engine on and clutch near grip point.

Try a small slope or hill and start practising. But it sounds like you already are able to do it, and just need practise more and more until it becomes more natural and less energy absorbing.

Yep - dont beat yourself up about not getting it straight off - Ive been riding a  trials bike reasonably regular for about 2 years - and have only just started to devote some time to hopping practice ( 2 months in  is pretty ambitious) - I have found that to do it in a way that isnt too energy sapping takes excellent timing .... there is a LOT  going on  - and then when you think you have it to a reasonable degree you will more than likely face a bit of disappointment when you try to use it in section, thats my experience at least.

Try to enjoy the learning process.