250 Vs 300 For A Noob?

doc_d

I wouldnt recommend a 300 for a newbie - I ride not bad  and a have a bought a  300 Scorpa 2015 for this year  and will maybe go to a 250 next year.

I think a newbie would find it pretty tiring on 300 (certainly a scorpa 2015) and would learn quicker on a 200/250.

I agree with ftp on this one, however that is not to say a 300 is a bad choice, just not my first choice.  I started on a 125 and am glad I did and could still today ride everything I can ride on my 250 on that same 125 though a bit more throttle would be required...

Getting a 300 and taming it down might work fine if you are already an advanced/experience enduro rider and ride a large bore 300 to 500 already as you will likely adapt quickly with the past experience.  Also if your 115 kg (250 lbs) or more a tamed down 300 could be a good option.  

Even then, as stated, a 300 once it gets away from you is a handful and when I consider that I myself at 84 kg (185 lbs) can do everything I know how to do now on my 250 on a 125 is it needed?  I don't think so.

Best of luck and even if you do get a 300 I am sure you will do just fine as long as your willing to stick with it.   :thumbup:

Edited by jonnyc21

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Biff, who helped me find a bike locally, this 2014 Gas Gas 250 Pro followed me home yesterday.  I've only ridden it briefly.  I think going with the 250 was the right decision.  I need to ride it more, but i might even need to put the slow throttle on this one.

post-22165-0-74893500-1453786856_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

we rode yesterday due to the nice weather. had a blast! even got doc_d to jump into the lovely flint michigan water system. :D

--Biff

Yeah, it was a good time!  I learned quite a bit and am starting to get comfortable on the bike.  If my stream crossings keep going like that I'm going to need to work on some of my swim strokes! :thumbup:

• Like 1