Tyres

mcb

i got a Dunlop GP rear tire to replace the Michelin x-11. One ride so far and I give it the thumbs up. About half the price too.

Can you tell me where you got your Dunlop from please? I've had a look around and they seem to be round about £90. Which is pretty much the same as a Michelin! Am I looking at the wrong tyre or looking in the wrong place?

Dunlop GP's do not stay up if used in rocks! I know of several people who had them supplied on new bikes and even suffered the same fate myself. One rider apparently tried four different Dunlops on, one after the other and all failed.

This is not gossip it's actual fact, I've seen it first hand with my own eyes, on multiple different bikes. Wouldn't normally jump in and say something like this but I was aggrieved myself and wouldn't want others to suffer the same annoyance - everything biking is expensive enough without this! The grip and price might be good but that's irrelevant the minute it dumps it's air - and it will, put your savings on it.

Ran an Xlite for five months on a bike till eventually the wall split, brilliant tyres!

Edited by the dabster

Several of us in Arizona ride both Dunlop 803 and 803 GP's where it's all rocks and have not experienced any failures or flats due to the tire construction or coming off rim, but we do have cactus spines here so punctures do occasionally happen.

I've even run them Tubless on front without problems.

Normally run 4lbs rear and 6lbs front.

Love the new GPs. Can't see paying over twice the price for Michelin. Get mine from Rocky Mountan ATV/MC here in the states.

Can you tell me where you got your Dunlop from please? I've had a look around and they seem to be round about £90. Which is pretty much the same as a Michelin! Am I looking at the wrong tyre or looking in the wrong place?

Hey johnny I'm in the USA. I got mine from Rocky Mountain ATV. Paid 90 something USD.

Dunlop GP's do not stay up if used in rocks! I know of several people who had them supplied on new bikes and even suffered the same fate myself. One rider apparently tried four different Dunlops on, one after the other and all failed.

This is not gossip it's actual fact, I've seen it first hand with my own eyes, on multiple different bikes. Wouldn't normally jump in and say something like this but I was aggrieved myself and wouldn't want others to suffer the same annoyance - everything biking is expensive enough without this! The grip and price might be good but that's irrelevant the minute it dumps it's air - and it will, put your savings on it.

Ran an Xlite for five months on a bike till eventually the wall split, brilliant tyres!

Can you describe the failures you've seen? Are you talking sidewall, tread, coming off the rim?

Can you describe the failures you've seen? Are you talking sidewall, tread, coming off the rim?

[

Seen the answers from people saying they have never had a problem with dunlops which would suggest the problem is attached to a recent batch of tyres.

Four new shercos all on dunlops purchased within the last six weeks all owners reported the same thing. I borrowed a pals and it happened to me last week and got a brand new bike myself and suffered the same thing! Went on to discuss it with local riders and more stories came out about dunlops going completely flat when riding but ultimately not punctured.

I took my mates bike back home to change the tyre for him and another rider actually came up my drive saying he seen my new bike and asked me did I put seam sealer in to keep the tyre up as he was out on his new sherco for the first time and got a flat!

I then pumped the tyre up and it held its pressure. Apparently they let the air go randomly. I put 8psi on my brand new bike last week and went for a gentle run to break the engine and gearbox in when after about forty minutes the back end started bumping. When I looked down tyre totally flat, couldn't believe it! I simply wouldn't put one on again, the original poster will need to make his own mind up.

/quote]

Interesting...  I remember reading some time ago about, I think it was some IRC's, tires having a problem like this and it was the way the tires bead fit around the wheel was the problem.  I wonder if Dunlops are seeing something like that?

If so it could explain why your listing 4 new Shercos all seeing it, I would guess that all of them would have the same type of wheel...  would also wonder about the other bikes seeing the issue, if they all have the same type of wheel?

hmmm...

Edited by jonnyc21

There will be an explanation, I only know what I and others have experienced first hand. The riders here have jumped straight to Michelins.

The question is why would anyone risk a failed 803GP when X11's are so well proven?

Edited by the dabster