Restricting The Power Of A Bike, Bad Idea?

soyasaus

Hello!

I am a newbie to trials currently searching for a bike.

I found this Scorpa 290cc 2T 2012 online, it looks really nice and seems to be in very good condition, the seller is not asking too much for it either. And, it's really close (geographically). It's literally the bike closest to me in the whole country.

But... It's 290cc. I would prefer starting out on a 125cc to be honest, I am only 20 years old, 5' 9" in height and 155 lbs in weight, so I'm not the biggest of guys. Also, I have no experience with trials bike. I have some experience riding regular dirtbikes (but only 125cc), and lots of driving snowmobiles.

But, this trial bike looks pretty sweet. Unfortunately, 125cc trial bikes are in short supply where I live. The only ones I've found is far away, so I would have to spend a whole day driving to see it, decide if I want it, then drive the whole way back.

So, what if I restricted it (theres gotta be some kits for that, right?)

Is it a bad idea? A really bad idea? I assume there would be some serious drawbacks, so I wonder if it's even worth it. It would save me lots of money and time though. It would only be temporary, I would remove the restrictment after I got comfortable with the bike.

Anyone have some experience or opinions on this?

Edited by soyasaus

As said many times,low compression head insert or add base gaskets to give similar results.Retard ignition if possible by moving position of stator plate.make gearing lower to slow bike down and put a slow action throttle on it.

Oh, so it's common to tone these bikes down? Sorry I didn't know that, are there any guides on this site maybe you can point me to? Thanks for the reply!

Yes people will mellow out a bike to make it less agressive.

The slow throttle tube, low compression head inserts, adding a flywheel weaght, etc. 

Example of someone taking a Raga 300 and making it much less agressive.  http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/changing-ignition-modules-big-difference.955152/

Also a little more on ignition timing tweaks: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/when-retardation-is-smart.967983/

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

Yes people will mellow out a bike to make it less agressive.

The slow throttle tube, low compression head inserts, adding a flywheel weaght, etc.

Example of someone taking a Raga 300 and making it much less agressive. http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/changing-ignition-modules-big-difference.955152/

Thank you! This is really helpful.

English is my second language so altough I do okay with general words, technical words I mostly only know in my native tongue. So I aplogize for that.

If I can ask you one more question though, what would you reccomend that is low cost yet effective?

What language do you speak.

Norwegian

Where abouts are you? might be someone on here with a bike close?

I live in Norway, so yeah... the trials-scene isn't really big here. Doesn't really matter though, I intend to use this bike to mess around with and try some hillclimbing. The trial bike is a great invention for the type of landscape around me. It's a country with a small population, so sadly the bikes being sold here are many (metric) miles from where I live.

Thank you! This is really helpful.

English is my second language so altough I do okay with general words, technical words I mostly only know in my native tongue. So I aplogize for that.

If I can ask you one more question though, what would you reccomend that is low cost yet effective?

First low cost I would start with would be the slow throttle tube and with your experience on 125cc bikes this could be enough. 

Next low cost I would be to tweak the ignition timing, however unless you are good at working on bikes that might not be the best idea.

You might also consider lower gearing with larger rear or smaller front sprocket, however that might cause you to need a new chain depending on what direction you go.

Good luck. 

Edited by jonnyc21

First low cost I would start with would be the slow throttle tube and with your experience on 125cc bikes this could be enough.

Next low cost I would be to tweak the ignition timing, however unless you are good at working on bikes that might not be the best idea.

You might also consider lower gearing with larger rear or smaller front sprocket, however that might cause you to need a new chain depending on what direction you go.

Good luck.

Alright, I'll do some more research

Again, thank you very much. You guys seem like a friendly and helpful bunch, I very much appreciate it!

Just get a 9 tooth countershaft sprocket and one of the new lanyards (kill switch connected to the wrist). This way it`s slowed down and it will shut off when needed! Good luck!

Do you know how many teeth is the standard for trials in this size on the countershaft sprocket?

Hi, I had a 125 Sherco that a previous owner had made into a rocket, seemed like I was always on the back wheel or my backside. I changed jetting, and retarded the ignition and gained better throttle control and it was a dream to ride. Good luck, I'd buy the thing and grow into it, pick your battles to start with.

Cheers Taff

Hi, I had a 125 Sherco that a previous owner had made into a rocket, seemed like I was always on the back wheel or my backside. I changed jetting, and retarded the ignition and gained better throttle control and it was a dream to ride. Good luck, I'd buy the thing and grow into it, pick your battles to start with.

Cheers Taff

Thanks! I'm really considering buying it.

A 290 scorpa is not that hot of a bike performance wise, with your size and weight. Just work on throttle controll its a skill your going to need anyway!!!! People make way to big a deal about engine size, you can learn to ride a 290 as easy as you can a 125,!!!! There are just as many drawbacks to riding a small displacement bike as there is a big displacement bike. Its all dependant on how your right hand and leaft hand work with your brain.

• Like 2