'92 Climber 280 Running Problems

strugglinon

I must be a sucker for an old dog. Recently got my 290 Sherco bucket of bolts going and I've come across a 1992 280 Aprillia climber that needs a bit of TLC.

It starts and runs but only on the choke.

I've cleaned out the carb, swilled out the tank and put fresh premix in. The carb and airbox rubbers are sealed tight and it's got a new plug BP5es.

I should say the bike has stood for a long while.

Any ideas from the good people of TC?

I'd go back over the carb again, perhaps get it cleaned in an ultrasonic tank. If it'll only run on choke that's telling me a blocked jet / passage. What carb, I can't remember that long ago!! would the Sherco carb fit to give it a try? Might not be jetted right but should give you an indication.

Where is the mixture screw located?

Between slide and intake then it's a fuel mixture screw.

Between slide and airbox manifold then it's a air mix screw.

They work un opposite way, completly turned in:

air mixture screw: max. fat

Fuel mixture screw: max. lean

Anyway for both screws 1 and a half turn is the standard setting for both screws.

Edited by pschrauber

Clogging:

You might again take a very close look to the bottom screw that holds the bowl and the main jet.

The hollow inside the bolt or screw is wider then the thread hole for the main jet the bottom to of the hollow is the deepest spot of the carb inside there can have been collected a bit of crud with the time that can be collected by the gas flow and provide a clogged jet.

I would too unscrew the mixture screw and give the inside a good clean flush with carb cleaner and compressed air. The small O-ring might be insufficient too.

Any other channel of the carb and the bowl (there is one too) I would give too a good flush with cleaner and compressed air.

It's often just small thingies that can change the behavior a lot ...

Edited by pschrauber

Thanks pschrauber,

I've the stripped carb in an ultrasonic cleaner now. Once I get it out and dried off I'll list what sizes they all are so maybe you helpful folks can make sure they're the right sizes.

There was a lot of crud in the choke.