Is Dougie Lampkin The Most 'complete' Trials Rider ?

johnnyboxer

This is a pointless thread, I think it is not a pointless thread

Doug is respected by many including myself, comparing Doug of today to the likes of Toni, Adam, and Cabes is just madness,miles apart, how many entries does the SSDT have? How many more WTC titles, under ' stop allowed' rules has Dougie won, in comparison to Raga and Cabestany?

And would all these entries be able to ride a world round or indoor? Many World Champions entered the SSDT over the years and even the 2016 SSDT, there were a few former World Trials Champions

There is no back wheel hopping as Doug cannot do this, it's a traditional trial which suits Dougs style, the most successful trials rider ever is Bou, and he still has more to give, many have said, I didn't know Dougie couldn't do 'Stop allowed' Trials? I think he was rather good at back wheel hopping and won a few World Championships, hopping and bopping

I don't think the SSDT is attractive to top level riders. It used to attract current World Champions and still attracts former World Champions

Some flesh to add to your bones :hyper:

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1

Well hard to tell; there is 3 men above all Tarres (SSDT win, bikedesigner, coach (Raga) and biggest contributer to modern trials riding techniques). Dougie always solid and on top indoors/outdoors/SSDT etc (never does any mistakes), Bou dominating everything and  mastering the 4 stroke never tried SSDT. Funny is that Dougie was riding worse on the 4 stroke and Bou really stepped up from being incosistent and 5th to 10 strait titles...

Miller and Jeff Smith was another era so hard to compare. Less international competition in trials.

Regarding SSDT. No one wins SSDT first year a top 3 is great and 5 would be good for a top 3 WCH rider.Top 10 realistic if no preparation. You need at least one year to learn the event. Bou with his smooth riding style would surly win in 3 attempts with decent preparation (some straem training up in andorra and not only dry rocks) unless struck by bad luck or ignorence of making a seroius attempt or Dougie or someone else having a monster week... Look at Pons, Corgot, Bilbao Spaniards taking the win.

Regarding Enduro I'm pretty sure both Dougie with his determination and Bou with his smooth but attacking riding style would have taken WCH medals if they've gone for that career. Merriman, Salminen,Paul  Eddy, Knight where all X trials riders dominating the sport.

However the most impressive lap ever must be Dougies 2nd lap on 2nd day Hawkstone Park 98. Non stop ice road slippery mud. Jarvis did a great lap 30; Colomer leading but 48. Dougie 4... !!!! WTF some of the sections were inridable for less than a lucky 3. Also Bou in Spain 08 and Tarres in Sweden 87 have been my personal highlights of their careers. :icon_salut:

Conclusion shared 1st place for Dougie, Bou and Tarres. :thumbup:

• Like 2

So, how do we think Dougie would do in a World Round today?

I know he beat Dabill in the SSDT but the sections are nothing like a World Round. However, with no stop rules surely that would favour Dougie?

Would love to see him ride World Rounds again.

I don't think that's where his passion is anymore. The SSDT is where Dougie is in his element but more importantly it's an event he enjoys. It would take a massive effort to get into the mindset and physical shape to compete in WRs. I don't even think it comes down to skill or talent, it's hunger. Doug's been there and done that. I'm sure everyone could go back and crush Primary School if they did it again but really once you've done it... who really wants to go back.

Edited by jml

What I meant was that no stop is not as physically demanding for an older rider than stop allowed (trust me I know) so he'd be at less of a disadvantage to the younger WTC riders.

But with age comes experience with Dougie has a lot of

• 2 weeks later...

Is Dougie superstitious? Stopped work championship trials at 12 so is he likely to bail out of the SSDT after 2 more wins. If so I guess I'd better get upto Fort William soon so that I can witness for myself whethe he is...the most complete trials rider. Which I think he must be