4Rt Dying Idle

thall1

2007 4RT.....last two weeks out within the first 5-10mins of riding the idle just dies off....it did restart but after far too many kicks/ECU resets.....on the first week that it happened the bike ran fine for the rest of the day...on the second week I managed to keep the bike running while I increased the idle...it kept running for most of the day and started fine when the bike had been stopped but on a number of occasions it did run rough or again die off on idle... I'm going to remove the throttle body and give it a clean and remove & clean electrical connectors etc., but just wondered if anyone had any other ideas?...I seemed like the initial rough idle came on when the fan started but I could be wrong.....

Try giving the large black connecter to the rectifier a good clean up with some contact cleaner, have seen corrosion in these cause the same symptoms.

They can be tricky to disconnect so be carful not to break it, just take your time and it will come apart.

It also could be a clogged "tea bag" fuel filter, located in the fuel tank.

The metal fuel tank bottom tends to corrode over time, and the rust particles clog the filter.

Edited by guys
  • Like 1

It also could be a clogged "tea bag" fuel filter, located in the fuel tank.

The metal fuel tank bottom tends to corrode over time, and the rust particles clog the filter.

Using fuels high in ethanol will speed this corrosion especially if bike is left stood for extended periods with tank part full

• Like 1

Using fuels high in ethanol will speed this corrosion especially if bike is left stood for extended periods with tank part full

Quite possibly, and I would drain mine if there was an easy way to drain the 4RT - I don't want to remove everything after a trial to be able to upend the tank.