Repsol Replica '09 Suspension

exman

Does anybody know what are the spring rates for original springs, in other words do I have to change it with my 85-87kg (geared)?My Montesa is a kind of shorty with her 295mm, since Manual says that ground clearance should be 335mm . I haven't checked front spring yet, rear one and it's preload are as specified in Manual.

Being not much of a rider I hope this might be crucial  thing that will improve my otherwise enormous riding potential :rotfl:

If I am reading the 05 manual correctly I think your looking at this one.  "rear spring: force at 10 mm compressed196 - 232 N (19.9 - 23.6 kgf)"  Didn't see a force for the front...

I am pretty sure my 07 is the same but would be willing to double check tonight if you want me to. 

As for your 85-87kg (geared) I run the stock spring on my 07 and am also in that range with gear and don't have any issues with stock springs. 

I do find I like a little more preload in the front than in the rear (not much more though) and had the settings turned down for compression and rebound to make the suspension a little faster than the stock settings as my 07 felt a little slow and heavy before doing so. 

hope that helps.

Edited by jonnyc21

If I am reading the 05 manual correctly I think your looking at this one.  "rear spring: force at 10 mm compressed196 - 232 N (19.9 - 23.6 kgf)"  Didn't see a force for the front...

I am pretty sure my 07 is the same but would be willing to double check tonight if you want me to. 

As for your 85-87kg (geared) I run the stock spring on my 07 and am also in that range with gear and don't have any issues with stock springs. 

I do find I like a little more preload in the front than in the rear (not much more though) and had the settings turned down for compression and rebound to make the suspension a little faster than the stock settings as my 07 felt a little slow and heavy before doing so. 

hope that helps.

I'm afraid "force at 10mm .." is too sofisticated for me. I measured spring free length, put prescribed preload and expected ground clearance according to the book. My next step will be bearings and bushes inspection (thanks to jrsunt). And after that, if you can be more specific with setings of the comp/reb, I would try with your number of clicks. Hope this is not too boring for you guys but in my age you have to be fast learner :)

Are the bearings and bushes in good order? If they are really worn that could result in a substantial loss of clearance

Bad weather next week means plenty of time for the inspection. Tks for the advice.

I am afraid my number of clicks will not help as I am running 2.5 fork oil in both front and rear instead of 5.0. (Had the both serviced and changed).

I could get the spring preload settings though? Might be a week before I can though as I have riding plans for this weekend...

Edited by jonnyc21

• 2 months later...

I did check suspension and found out that four out of six needle bearings were frozen. I had to make bearing puller (overall cost 30$) since it was impossible to press  the bearings out of swingarm housing. Had to replace suspension plate, all sbearings and seals, and everything works fine now, but ground clearance remained the same. Herebelow is the photo of the bearing puller (could be used on the dogbone too), and I can make a dimensioned drawing if anybody else like to do it himself.

IMG_20170221_204827[1].jpg

Edited by exman
photo place by mistake in the middle of text
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, guys said:

The ground clearance of my 2016 300RR is 300mm (without a rider, but with a +10% rear spring), so I think there's nothing wrong with your 295mm.

So, you are saying that everything about that double blip trouble is just me and only me?!:(

no no, not at all. :)
If that's the problem, I would suggest you get a set of those "lift suspension plates".

http://www.handdracing.co.uk/userimages/procart2.htm

I haven't mounted them on my 300RR yet, but they made a very noticeable difference on my 2008 4RT; much easier to clear larger steps thanks to the extra lift (or spring or bounce) they create when "double blipping".

They also make the stearing head angle a bit sharper which helps in tight turns.

It might also be a good idea to have the nitrogen pressure in the rear shock checked.
Although I must say that the pressure in my 2008 4RT shock was still ok in 2013.

Edited by guys