The latest threat ?

subira

What's your thoughts on this...

Apparently at a trader level there's currently a boom on those roadies buying into off roaders - trouble is they're Enduro/Trail/MX and not Trialsters.

Witnessed this first hand yesterday, a group of lads I know have all parked the Hypersports bikes for the winter and are now buzzing round on big trailys.

They have a very different view on the countryside to me and you - 'Ride it until you get caught', 'its just a bit of fun' and 'Who's gonna catch me on a 640, eh ?'

These are normally responsible people (late 30s), who seem to have gone totally native since getting on the dirt - I have tried explaining how 'green lanes' work and that its important to behave responsibly - but its not a message that they want to hear.

I'm afraid that the biggest danger to our sport isn't from the Ramblers (who'd love to see us shut down) - but from fellow 'bikers' who think that 60 mph along the Ridgeway is cool.

Not good news I'm afraid....

Edited by Subira

And there was me with me 1500cc chop :rolleyes:

I have never been a fan of these so called green laners. I know more than i care to mention and all compete in varous moto-sports. Even some do enduros and these are the same lads that want to do events in Dalby forest , Langdale etc but their events are been cancelled and banned because they have been turning up on their full race machines on trailers , as you say and tear-arsing aroung the woods etc.

I hear that they are considering trying to operate a policy of the lads that they catch , they will send their bikes to the crusher!!

If we keep losing venues to em then i suggest putting in the riders along with them!!

The majority are the ones who arent any good in competion so a*** about and then go back to the pub to discuss how fats they were :blink:

Edited by Marky boy

Unfortunately i know one of these so called 'green laner' types - their arguement is they want some fun so whats wrong with parking up and 'thrashing' around on the moors. I haven't even tried to explain that they will finish off legal events because i really believe they don't understand. I have tried to coax them into events but the genuinly just want to play.

It is a big problem as we won't have a future with these knob heads around. Rumour has that they have crushed bikes in Kent - not sure our local street bobby's will have much chance with their tranny van when the laners take to the dirt.

What to do??????

:rolleyes:

Don't tell anyone but they'll be available very soon!

Email me your address in the next day or so then i'll get them for you - sorry they're not available by email!

ELLIS@malton7.freeserve.co.uk

:rolleyes: Noone reads this right??? And they don't know what we're talking about anyway!!!!

Edited by Vicx

:rolleyes: As in many things, I reckon the only way to tackle it is to try and be smart!...Try to educate all those out there, about the difference between TRIALS..and green laning etc.

Mind you...thats a HUGE battle, even alot of my ROAD biking mates STILL dont know the difference between trials and motocross.

MAYBE..one day ..when Joe Public really KNOWS the difference, they will then treat us differently from the hooligans that show no respect to the land/land owners.

haven't herd of them crushing bikes at home (Kent) - sure there is the usual problems but not as bad as hippie country (ridgeway)

lots of talk about this on rides.org.uk and other such sites - you have your responsible riders (the TRF types), the proper off roaders (MX, enduro, etc) and then pikies (well.......) - anyway the first do all the work but some of the middle lot and the last lot make it hard for the rest of us. i wouldn't say the born again brigade (who are p****d off with speed cameras and death risks) are the worst - i find the pikie types the worst.......

i wouldn't say all MX / enduros riders are bad - in my club (were MX, enduro and trials) we've been encouraged to run a LDT after another local clubs one (they're an enduro and trials club) and we're all having good fun - and were not upsetting anyone and we are doing it legitimately

anyway c'est la vie .............

rabie :rolleyes:

As I mentioned recently when a similar discussion came up over on TA, I've recently come back to trials after spending the past 10 or so years trailriding and competing in enduros and believe me, this is an issue that's worrying people from all diciplines of off-road motorcycle sport.

The sport that's possibly most threatened by illegal riding is enduro. The reasons for this are simple: Generally speaking, motocross takes place on privately owned, properly operated and licensed tracks. Most of these tracks also hold regular practise days meaning that the responsible motocross enthusiast should, leaving distance complications aside never feel the need to go tear-arsing around the local woods, frightening small animals and children and generally giving us all a bad name. Trials is similar in many respects (although there are probably fewer "official" trials practise areas around), but trials bikes have the distinct advantage of being both quieter, slower and much less "visible" than a modern big-bore thumper.

Now consider trailriding and enduro. If you're an enduro enthusiast, where do you practise? The UK does (for now) have an extensive network of legal rights of way, but these are still considered to be public highways and it's simply not safe to rip along a green lane since there's a good chance you'll encounter a Land Rover or worse, a group of crumbly ramblers coming in the opposite direction around the next blind bend. The only answer is to find a friendly local landowner, but these are becoming more and more difficult to find for many reasons, not least of which is the desire to avoid the legal complications caused by complaints of noise and/or injury to riders.

Which brings us to these "born again" trailriders. These people have no idea about green lanes, have never heard of the TRF and encouraged by irresponsible and frankly clueless publications such as MCN, seem to think that the countryside is one enormous trail park. Most of them head for the nearest area of forestry and it's here that the real damage is done: 'Round here at least, most enduros take place on forestry commission land and the illegal riding is doing a pretty effective job of removing access to this land by organised clubs permanently. We might think that trials is suffering badly, but it's nothing compared to the damage that's being done to the sport of enduro. This is one of the main reasons that I quit the whole enduro scene - it just wasn't worth the hassle any more.

I realise that I've made some generalisations and glossed over a number of important issues, but the bottom line is that I don't believe that this is a battle that "we" can ever win and we'd all better get used to the idea that the only places we'll be riding in the future are privately owned and operated and potentially "artificial" venues; and paying a premium for the privilege of doing so. It'll take a sea-change in both property law and the attitude of certain so-called "insider" publications to avoid this and I honestly can't see it happening. Sad but true.