Acu Rule Tsr22a, Stop Is A 1 Etc

stuartc

The worst thing about trials is when you get some centre expert who thinks he's Adam Raga showing off in the middle of the section :P , while eveyone else is waiting to have their go, at least the no stop rule would cut out the show off's. :hl:

But this doesnt happen very often and that means everyone else is penalised because of it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst thing about trials is when you get some centre expert who thinks he's Adam Raga showing off in the middle of the section :P , while eveyone else is waiting to have their go, at least the no stop rule would cut out the show off's. :hl:

But this doesnt happen very often and that means everyone else is penalised because of it.

You obviously weren't riding in the early 90's then because it did happen a lot just like Woody & AS IOW have said.

Atomant, you say,"the 1 point penalty for stopping with your feet up is never used at our club to my knowledge, so it might as well not be there."

It must make it difficult for you if you go and ride elsewhere and their observers actually stick to the rules. I assume your club doesn't run a national trial with that way of observing.

Seriously if there is no penalty for stopping national trials would decline to a point where they can't run due to lack of riders. It happened some years ago and will happen again.

Clubmen are the backbone of the sport and a lot do ride the expert route.They don't just ride the easier routes. Keep them happy and trials thrives as it is now. Alienate them with tight, hoppy sections and queues and you will have a true minority sport.

Don't try and fix what isn't broken.

Mark T

Edited by Timp

You obviously weren't riding in the early 90's then because it did happen a lot just like Woody & AS IOW have said.

Maybe I should rephrase that, It doesnt happen a lot at the events I ride at. Maybe its different where you guys are. I am only giving an opinion on what I see.

Im not providing the answers but at least im getting invloved in the debate. Too many people moan and groan but dont come up with anything to offer :crying:

Atomant, you say,"the 1 point penalty for stopping with your feet up is never used at our club to my knowledge, so it might as well not be there."

It must make it difficult for you if you go and ride elsewhere and their observers actually stick to the rules.

I ride in my centre and the mid Wales centre and don’t go outside of that. I agree it may be difficult for others who travel about but what percentage of riders actually do that?

With reference to sticking to the rules, we are debating the pros and cons of this and that when I have yet to attend an event either as a spectator or a rider where the rules are correctly applied to the letter. It doesn’t happen and never will IMHO. For someone to stand there in the freezing cold and wet and observe a section is a sacrifice im extremely thankful for. So, whether they observe to the rules or not at my level I am not particularly bothered about to be honest.

Good debate this one :santa1:

Its evident from observing at Nationals that there is a lot of local variation in the rules - one C class rider quizzed me about a 1 he got for stopping and then pointed out that in his centre they're allowed 3 seconds!!! Where does it say that in the ACU handbook? Another dad said "you're just being mean" for fiving his son for ditching his bike into a bank just before the ends cards. Seriously, you just can't win. I will say this though, I have only twice sent my son back to ask an observer about a 50/50 decision at a National - on both occasions his mark was altered - but having given the decision more thought later in the day, I have to admit that the observer was right on both occasions. Fortunately on neither occasion did it gain him a place, so I slept well. On the other hand, I have always been happy with my own observing decisions, although I doubt all of the riders agree. But as I always say to my son (on occasions he is having a moan), keep your feet up - keep moving - keep away from the flags, and there is nothing the observer can five you for.

Good point ScorpaF. That 3 second thing is a reasonable compromise. I like it!

Now you are having a laugh.

When is a stop not a stop? When you stop for up to 3 seconds. Come on!

As for the comment concerning 1's for stopping, I agree I have rarely seen (in person) this enforced and have never, and I do mean never, seen an observer give a five for a sideways bounce whilst stationary.

It is my opinion that the current rules are a joke to understand and a nightmare to apply.

Finding the observers is definately the worst part of running a trial and we run 3 Nationals, 1 centre and 5 club trials a year.

I seriously believe that full non stop rules would help me find observers at our events. There is no doubt that it is easier to explain to a willing new volunteer.

But until we go back to non stop, no one will know.

again while it would be nice to be like our ex-pat Ishy, and have one rule, as we can see we all disagree on which of the two (three) different options we want and even then how to interpret (when is ceasing forward motion, ceasing forward motion)

even if we (generally riders) could agree here, are we representative of the nation as a whole ??? are we representing everyone one; from youth A-D, sidecars, experts, inters, novice, Twinshocks, pre67 A-D, LDTs, etc, etc

even then, once you've climbed that hurdle the poor volunteers who by and large make up the majority of the observers, are they equipped, trained (or inclined) to cope with yet another change. most often (form what i see) they are very lenient on the stopping issue and don't go into counting time or adding dabs for being stationary

while this may challenge us, the riders (the modern bikes who want to "hop skip and jump" AND the non stop brigade, who don't want to stop), are we really going to bring the observers with us..............

good debate though .....

rabie :hat: