USA AHRMA Rules

drca

I am thinking about getting into some "classic" or "vintage" trials events next year, and since I need a new build project, I thought it might be nice to build a decent vintage trials bike.  Mind you, my level is novice at best (been riding trials for a year, I can balance, do lock to lock turns, clean 1' to 1.5' obstacles).

I looked for the AHRMA rule books for trials and the classes listed on their web site are:

13.1.1 PREMIER HEAVYWEIGHT: Certain pre-1965 era and like design, non-unit construction (separate, removable gearbox), four-stroke machines, 350cc and larger. Examples: BSA B32, Ariel HT., Triumph Trophy, Royal Enfield Bullet, etc., or accurate replicas of such machines. Modifications and major components are limited to the era and must be typical of the heavyweight machines of the 1960s. The following requirements apply to Triumph unit twin works replicas: Any unit Triumph twin engine may be used; the standard pre-1966 twin frame and rear hub must be employed; only the rear frame section may be modified to period specifications; must use any year all-steel Triumph forks, standard length; must use any year all-steel Triumph oil tank; must use
any Triumph steel or iron front hub; and may use any period gas tank, seat, rims, etc. 

13.1.2 PREMIER LIGHTWEIGHT: Certain pre-1965 era and like design, unit- or non-unit construction, two- or four-stroke machines, 250cc and smaller. Also, unit-construction, four-stroke machines over 300cc. Examples: Greeves, Dot, Cotton (Villiers-powered), unit-construction BSA singles or twins, Royal Enfield Crusader, Triumph Cub, Triumph 500 unit twin or Triumph-powered Greeves. Hondas are limited to CB160, CL72 and CL77. Modifications and major components are limited to those of the era, typical of machines in the 1960s.

13.1.3 RIGID LIGHTWEIGHT: Any non-swing-arm machine, including those equipped with plunger or sprung-hub rear suspension, typical of those used in the pre-swingarm era. Engine displacement up to 300cc, as manufactured, two- and four-strokes. Modifications and major components are limited to those typically used into the 1950s. Ceriani-type forks are not allowed.

13.1.4 RIGID HEAVYWEIGHT: Chassis and modifications as above, utilizing 301cc and larger non-unit-construction four-stroke engines. 

13.1.5 GIRDER FORK: Any rigid-frame, girder-fork machine. Modifications and major components are limited to those of the era, typical of pre-war machines. Plunger frames and sprung hubs are not permitted.

13.1.6 MODERN CLASSIC: Any unit-construction machine up to and including model year 1979. Examples: Bultaco five-speed 125-350, Suzuki RL250 & TS models, Beamish Suzuki, Montesa Cota 123-348, Ossa 250-350 MAR and BLT, Yamaha TY175/250 & AT/CT/DT models, Kawasaki KT250 & enduro models, Honda TL125/250 & SL/XL models, GRM Maverick rigid frames with four-stroke engines. TMI-framed Hondas and Frazier frames are eligible. Modifications and major components are limited to those of the era, typical of machines of the mid-’70s. SWM, Fantic or Beta motorcycles are not allowed.

13.1.7 CLASSIC: Any kit-framed two-stroke machine 175cc or less. Examples: Wassell, 88 89 Penton, Gaunt, Minarelli-powered Cotton, Puch-powered Greeves, Dalesman and Hodaka specials. Also any Spanish four-speed up to 250cc in original OEM frame. Examples: Ossa four-speed, Montesa four-speed, Bultaco four-speed, also GRM Maverick rigid frames with Classic-legal engines and GRM four-speed. Eligible fourstrokes include those legal for Premier Lightweight and Honda S90 and SL90.

13.1.8 BEGINNER: A non-championship class for beginning trials riders on any motorcycle eligible for AHRMA trials.

If these are the actual classes, it means that the "youngest" a bike can be to be eligible is 1979, which would exclude all of the mid 80's bike such as the Fantic, SWM, some TY's and even the Honda TRL200 are out.  So what class (if any) are these bikes running is?

What I was hoping for is a "twin shock / drum brakes / air cooled / run what you bring" type of class.

Now my local club (Sacaramento PITS) has a "twin shock" class defined as "1. Twin Shock – Any model year bike with twin-shock rear suspension" in their rule book.  Is that pretty standard?

What I am thinking about is picking up a Honda TL200 and building it up with modern components (better fork, rear shock, hydraulic clutch, etc.).  

Thanks for any info on this.

ARMA is pretty much into vintage mx, road racing etc. They let trials exist as an after thought. We tried to get them to extend the rules to include a class for all twinshock air cooled bikes. No go. So we started an ITSA based club.  http://mtwestvintagetrials.org/

We ride real sections and welcome most everyone including modern,  Also you can check out the vintage class at http://www.mototrials.com/.

Hydraulics are not considered vintage by the way.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

AHRMA wouldn't be the place for run what you brung type of bikes. They are very strict on what they will allow which makes AHRMA less attractive. My dad runs AHRMA but has been sticking to cross country lately. The advantage to AHRMA is that you have many disciplines in one spot so you can get to participate in events other than trials. 

ITSA is strictly trials and if that is all you are interested in then it would be the place to go get your fix. 

--Biff

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 5:57 AM, biffsgasgas said:

AHRMA wouldn't be the place for run what you brung type of bikes. They are very strict on what they will allow which makes AHRMA less attractive. My dad runs AHRMA but has been sticking to cross country lately. The advantage to AHRMA is that you have many disciplines in one spot so you can get to participate in events other than trials. 

ITSA is strictly trials and if that is all you are interested in then it would be the place to go get your fix. 

--Biff

In my neck of the wood (San Francisco Bay Area), it's either AHRMA or local club rules (which is the Sacratmento PITS and it's basically "dual sock", race what you bring as long as it's dual sock!).

So I got myself a cheap 1984 Fantic 300 that I am starting to strip out and will do a "restomod" on :P

On 7/13/2017 at 10:16 PM, scot taco said:

Hi Biff,

What bike is your dad racing in the CC events? I,m hoping to make it down to Barbers this year and do the cross country and trials.I,m not sure if I will race vintage on the Ossa or post vintage on the IT.

He has been riding an xl185 lately but is also known to ride his greeves anglian trials bikes as well. I am not sure if he will be making barber. If you are getting vintage views he just wrote an article regarding the tommy mc dermit award. Good lil read. I will see what his barber status is later today. 

--Biff

I haven,t raced an AHRMA event in a long time.I have a friend in Georgia who has been going to Barbers and from what he says it sounds like a great one to make so I hope to get down there this year.

I bet the XL is a great woods bike and the Greeves would be awesome to have in the garage!