Most Reliable Trials Machine?

uhoh7

My buddy has about 3000 US to spend. I know used machines are always a gamble and there are lots of variables.

But which machines have proven most bulletproof and effective from 1994 on?

Thanks sirs :D

Edited by uhoh7

At one time I would have said the Beta's have the best build quality, but they do suffer badly from electrical failure (if you get a bad one like I did.)

A good rule to follow is; 'have a look at everything and buy by condition.'

A well looked after Gas Gas is a better buy than a thrashed and abused Scorpa, although the Scorpa has very good build quality when new.

You'll get a good answer in support of all the machines.

My prejudices from ownership and from being the local wrench-spinner, would lead me to put my 3000 into a Sherco. I guess that would get a good '02 or '03.

It's not my habit to trash other machines, and I have often said that they are all good. Most of the recurring problems with these bikes are small and easily sorted (not to say that some aren't pretty annoying!), but I have found Sherco to be the least idiosyncratic.

I think Montesa would be a close second.

Actually...my only real complaint with the Montesa is purely personal; I feel a lot of buzzing/vibration in the bars and pegs. No doubt due to the stiffness of the frame. I've never seen it discussed on this bulletin board, so I'm probably in a very small minority....again.

I have just what your mate needs, will take plenty of stick and keep going strong.

97 Beta techno used by an old lad in our club to come out and help clear sections and watch events, never trialed, excellent condition, the seat pad just is bolted to the regular stock fender bolts.

Runs like a clock $1800 will meet you at Pendleton if your interested.

post-8-1133464201.jpg

for absolute reliability and all prejudice's aside. pretty much any of them, all of the bikes within the past 5 eyars have had their own little problems but all can be sorted easily, gas gas had gearbox problems, shorco had mains etc.etc.

but if looking at a sherco be wary of mains.

some beta's have electrical faults.

the mont 315 and scorpa are pretty much bullet proof, but the mont will give you problems (when picking it up and dragging it out of sections)

but seriously, most of the bikes are sound, get him to have a ride on a few and he can buy the one he likes the most.

nearly ever beta ive known has begun to sound rough after a few years, i dont know what it is, a reasonable number have electrical problems. I just cant say anyone in my riding group would get one after many have had bad experiences with them.

Having said that if your lucky enough to get a good one and really look after it they can be excellent, a friend of mine had a 200 Beta that i loved becuase it was such smooth power delivery and it ticks along nicely.

Then again 02-03 gassers have been known to have niggly little problems go wrong, i.e Kickstarts snapping etc etc...