TY250 A points setting

scot taco

9 hours ago, motosolex said:

Hi FeetUpFun. 

When timing my TY250, my dial indicator is too large and won’t function due to bikes’s frame with tank off. 

I am thinking I’ll need to remove the head and make a gizmo-bracket to mount dial indicator (as in bike’s shop manual)

Any ideas on this? 

Or do you know of a smaller dial indicator that will work without removing the head?

thanks  

I avoid needing to use a dial indicator by measuring the advance around the rim of the flywheel. Initially you need to establish where top dead centre is, and you don't need a dial indicator for this. I use a TDC tool which is really just a rod in a guide that screws into the plug hole. Anything that will fit will do the job. Then make a mark 21mm anticlockwise around the rim from top dead centre and use that position for checking the position of the points opening.

The TDC tool is marked in mm and some people use this scale to measure piston position BTDC but I don't think this is accurate enough for the job.  https://www.inmotiontrials.com/product/tdc-timing-tool-14mm-plug-hole/

If you still feel the need to use a dial indicator but don't want to take the head off, you could take off the exhaust, loosen the carburettor and remove two of the engine mount bolts so you can tilt the engine down at the front and fit the dial indicator.

17 hours ago, motosolex said:

Hi FeetUpFun. 

When timing my TY250, my dial indicator is too large and won’t function due to bikes’s frame with tank off. 

I am thinking I’ll need to remove the head and make a gizmo-bracket to mount dial indicator (as in bike’s shop manual)

Any ideas on this? 

Or do you know of a smaller dial indicator that will work without removing the head?

thanks  

Do it once and mark the flywheel so you can use a strobe in future.

• 3 years later...
On 8/8/2017 at 2:36 AM, scot taco said:

Guy, I will let you know how/if it works when I get a chance to ride it maybe this weekend.

When it comes to electrics I really am a novice idiot so I wont be too surprised if something does not work right.

Here is a photo of what I did.The new condenser is mounted under the tank and I bought it at the automotive parts store.

post-17837-0-26992500-1482864515.jpg

Scot,

How did you rewire the new condi?