Cub alloy barrels

cub200

A few years ago I bought a couple of brand new oval alloy barrels from a supplier who shall be nameless in the UK and fitted one to my trials Cub. After about two events it had smoke and oil spewing out all over the place and required stripping.

I found that the liner had spun in the barrel which misaligned the oil drainage holes resulting in the problems I experienced. I tried contacting the supplier who ignored me completely and I would add that the supplier wasn't UPB, AWR or Armac, but he is well known around the UK.

Can anyone tell me if this problem was rampant or was I just unlucky getting a couple from a bad batch, I have always been afraid to use the other one that I bought off him.

Is the problem ongoing or has it been fixed, I have heard of other problems such as warping, siezing and excess oil burning.

For the money these alloy barrels cost you would hope to get better service out of them.

If my supplier wants to contact me to offer a solution :D or anyone else wants to talk off air, twinshock2@gmail.com.

Cheers 

After two years any warranty would have expired, date of sale etc. Or is it that you bought the barrels and fitted one straight away. Pegging or rather pinning the barrel will only be possible if there is sufficient material in both liner and barrel casting. If memory serves me correctly there ought to be a registering lip at the top of the barrel (female) that the liner lip (male) slots into? The cylinder head then traps both when secured in place, so the liner shouldn’t be loose unless there is a gasket/cylinder issue. For the liner to spin there must be significant play some where. How does the other barrel  compare? Back to pinning the liner, you might do better to seek the advice of a reputable engineering company/tuner as there is always another solution. Are there any indications that the liner has moved up and down and not just rotated. Hope you get the issue sorted ??

On 30/01/2018 at 0:06 AM, cub200 said:

A few years ago I bought a couple of brand new oval alloy barrels from a supplier who shall be nameless in the UK and fitted one to my trials Cub. After about two events it had smoke and oil spewing out all over the place and required stripping.

I found that the liner had spun in the barrel which misaligned the oil drainage holes resulting in the problems I experienced. I tried contacting the supplier who ignored me completely and I would add that the supplier wasn't UPB, AWR or Armac, but he is well known around the UK.

Can anyone tell me if this problem was rampant or was I just unlucky getting a couple from a bad batch, I have always been afraid to use the other one that I bought off him.

Is the problem ongoing or has it been fixed, I have heard of other problems such as warping, siezing and excess oil burning.

For the money these alloy barrels cost you would hope to get better service out of them.

If my supplier wants to contact me to offer a solution :D or anyone else wants to talk off air, twinshock2@gmail.com.

Cheers 

The Martyn Adams Serco barrel on my Cub has been fine along with all the other work he did and parts supplied to myself and friends, might be worth contacting him http://www.mdamotorcycleengineering.com.au/pages/Martyn-Adams.html 

Why not try the other cylinder, you may have one good one and one faulty then at least you will know.

Edited by trialsrfun
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, cub200 said:

Just shows how wrong you can be. I only comment on these sites when I have something constructive to say. 

Doesn't answer the question. Did you inform the purchaser you were suspected it could be faulty ?

"Can anyone tell me if this problem was rampant or was I just unlucky getting a couple from a bad batch, I have always been afraid to use the other one that I bought off him."

• Like 1