prelit

Drayton Bantam

20 hours ago, woody said:

The Drayton frames aren't actually that light (they aren't sold as such either) The frame for my C15 is a fair bit heavier than the Faber frame I had before. But standard Bantam frames aren't that heavy either, I've ridden a Bantam with original frame (I don't mean a standard bike, still modified) and the Drayton and there's little in it,

Alan Whitton's Cub that I tried a few years ago was around 160/170lbs I think, so a Bantam is going to be very near that taking into account the Cub frame is probably lighter but the engine heavier than the Bantam

A sad subject at the moment though as Drayton builder Jim Pickering passed away last night after his battle with cancer. A lovely bloke who will be very much missed in these parts

His bikes and engineering prowess will go on and his name will be remembered, a lasting tribute to a clever engineer.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, section swept said:

That would have been great except it was in 1963..ish that the little green Bantam figured in my formative motorcycle obsession?? Dont think Drayton would have been around then. That Bantam even if by some miracle I had it now, it would not be offered up as a conversion, as I remember the bike had no rust except on the front of the barrel next to the exhaust.?

If only we could buy them now, how I wish I had kept both the Velocette and Triumph Twin that came went got sold or swapped for what seemed the next better thing. That little Bantam would be worth quite a lot next weekend at Stafford.

4 minutes ago, trialsrfun said:

If only we could buy them now, how I wish I had kept both the Velocette and Triumph Twin that came went got sold or swapped for what seemed the next better thing. That little Bantam would be worth quite a lot next weekend at Stafford.

It would have been if I hadn’t swapped in 1963.☹️

On ‎04‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:32 AM, prelit said:

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know the weight of a Drayton Bantam ready to ride with fuel etc.

Thanks,

Prelit.

Our Drayton Bantam is 184lbs ready to ride. It is still on standard Iron hubs and steel shocks at present. Am sure they can be around 170lbs dry.

On 10/6/2018 at 6:15 PM, trialsrfun said:

Saddened to learn of Jim's passing. Jim was always a gentleman and a 100% trials enthusiast, a good rider but always helpful to others whether it be with bike or riding advice.

The attached image is of the first version of his Bantam taken at the Reliance but it constantly changed week by week, Jim also rode a BSA B40 and Royal Enfield Bullet 350 throughout the midlands area and often in the Pre 65 at Kinlochleven.

IMG_2617.JPG

Is that a steel Yamaha ty250 mono tank on there?

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies guys,

Thanks to Bezaboy for the info. on his Drayton.  Anyone else know the 'ready to ride' weight of their Drayton that they care to share?

Cheers,

Prelit.

On 06/10/2018 at 4:51 PM, section swept said:

Or count your own time as a cost into building it yourself?At the end of the day any Bantam or British Trials bike kept in the sporting publics eye is a good thing.?

Absolutely, I'm busy prepping my little 1953 J9 James for the "Moor to Sea" on Exmoor this Sunday. Riding amongst the KTM's and Gasser's etc. I fully expect to laughed at all day,don't care cos I'll be laughing too - even if its peeing down.

20180506_152311.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

On 09/10/2018 at 12:53 PM, jon v8 said:

Absolutely, I'm busy prepping my little 1953 J9 James for the "Moor to Sea" on Exmoor this Sunday. Riding amongst the KTM's and Gasser's etc. I fully expect to laughed at all day,don't care cos I'll be laughing too - even if its peeing down.

20180506_152311.jpg

Lovely reminder of when trials were ‘proper’ and I bet despite any laughs at your expense that you thoroughly enjoyed yourself. No suspension set up worries, no constant worrying about overheating through fans jamming etc etc???

• Like 3

On 10/7/2018 at 11:49 PM, woody said:

Yes

the horror.... the horror (visualizing and quoting Marlon Brando as Col. Kurt in Apocalypse Now).....

Edited by thai-ty