Rust Spots Appearing On Spokes...

manx2day

now then/ have you tryed autosol and wire wool to remove rust? works well.all so use wd40 after you have rode bike on rims and spokes i use it on me mont wheels/give it a go you never know............. :D

• 4 weeks later...

now then/ have you tryed autosol and wire wool to remove rust? works well.all so use wd40 after you have rode bike on rims and spokes i use it on me mont wheels/give it a go you never know

Spokes are generally cadmium plated, too much autosol and wire wool can rub off the plating leaving bare steel which is more likely to rust. Why not clean all the rust with autosol or similar, thoroughly degrease the wheel and then coat the end of the spokes with a lacquer to protect from further rust. OK when you retighten the spokes if they slacken off or when you true the wheel after you twist it you will have to relacquer. Spray the spokes with WD40 after you wasjh the bike if they are really prone to rust.

There is the option of fitting stainless steel spokes but this copens a different can of worms altogether with some wheelbuilders advising this and others not (depending on what you want to use the bike for).

Prevention on new = proper washing, drying and wd40 as a chaser

Maintainence of corroded = proper washing, CLR+steel wool (or wd40 + steel wool) and wd40 as chaser

Corroded = get your wheels re-laced with new spokes!!! 8-(

PS. I buy cheap and nasty no brand 'wd40' for A$2 bucks a can. After every bike wash i use about a 1/3 of a can on the bike. Keeps the gremlins out. I also use 1/3 of a can moments b4 we start any event...makes the cleaning easier and its A$2 bucks well spent!!!! (just keep it off those brake rotors by covering them with a clean rag b4 spraying - otherwise the rider gets a nasty surprise on the first bend.....whoaaaa!!!!)

Edited by KTMSprocket