Got Any Trailer Pics?

gasgasssser

Has any of you lot got one of those trailers where the bike sits on its sump over the axle,and the front wheel sits ina slot on the a frame?My missus is giving me grief for parking my trailer out side the house,i think if i modify it,it will be smaller and lighter and will fit in me garage.If someone could post a pic, that would be great.

Thanks

I've considered shortening my trailer but the lads i've spoken to all said when the bike is sumped you lose the suspension for tying down. Therefore the bike tends to bounce on the sump and not ride on the trailer so well. Stand the trailer up on a wheel or hang it on a wall if you can before you shorten it.

thanks for the pics,but they are not the ones i`m looking for.The bike actualy rides on its sump,so if any body has a pic,please post it.The reply about the bike not towing as well because of this,is a point i hadnt considered,but is something i will bear in mind.

I made the trailer my self by welding a frame for the bikes to sit on ,onto an old "A" frame with mini wheels on,its too heavy to lift on its side on my own(dont think the wife would help!).With the ride on sump type,i thought i could just pick it up at the tow bar end and lift it right up and just lean it against the garage wall.

cheers.

I think this is what you're after, sorry i don't have any close up pics, my brother has the trailer now. I'll attempt to get some close up's,but can't promise anything as the last I heard it was locked in the garage and he's lost the keys!

Anyway the trailer is a simple affair made from box section, chequer plate and mini indispension units. It towed very well (over 100mph-not on public :D roads obvoiusly)and was easy to store.

post-591-1136631979.jpg

Not a good idea to travel with bike on the sump, all forces going thro bash plate etc.

The rearmost part of any trailer should have the lights and triangles on it.

You can buy folding trailers.

(BEFORE ANYBODY SAYS THIS IS AN AD, WE DONT SELL FOLDING TRAILERS)

hughesy,that just what i`m looking for.If you could get any close-ups,that would be great. :D:blink:

p.s.Dont like vans,tried getting rid of the missus but not succeded yet.

Maybe if everyone came to my place and parked their trailers......

Edited by gasgasssser

I've been thinking of something like this for ages. Been thinking of some sort of sprung mounted rubber platform to sump the bike on. Not much spring, just enough to take up slack with straps.

Hughesy's looks as close as I've seen. Looks like storage space as well in that is it???

Also was thinking of square section brackets level with the sump area to drop a lightweight frame in to which provides a number plate BEHIND the bikes.

I reckon with those two trailers shown and a few more ideas thrown in someone could get to the perfect trailer for those of us with limited storage space.

The advantage of Hughesy's for me is the lack of anything behind the wheels. I have bushes that I can lose the whole of the towing hitch in to. All that would be left is the wheels.

Does it lift up on end without destroying the lights. If not, maybe just a couple of small struts to support it.

I reckon somebody could make a fairly cheap one of these - would have to be a real well thought out piece of engineering, and loads of people who are short of space would buy them.

1. Clever sump buffer to knock out vibration and help strapping down.

2. Short as possible

3. Able to store up on end

4. Lightweight frame add-on to provide lighting board behind bike.

5. 1, 2 or 3 bike (I would have thought axle width would be the same roughly.

6. Maybe upgradable just with new "sump buffer" section.

Any more?

Yeah, there is storage in the box, enough for all my ****ty gear and petrol. When carrying two bikes I used a light board bungied to the rear wheels of both bikes as the lights on the trailer were obscured.

The trailer stood up on it's a*** end fine without any supports, though this was more to do with luck than judgement.

StuartC Posted Today, 04:33 PM
Edited by Hughesy

bikespace,we`re on the same wavelengh :D .I though of adding a couple of those lockable dolly wheels on the backend so it can stand on its end and not roll away from the wall.The lights and number plate could easily be mounted on a box section frame (u-shaped with square corners)This would slide into slightly bigger section,which would be mounted just inside the wheels, and nip up with bolts or hand wheels,buti agree with hughsey about the state of some trailers,in fact i can think of at least 2 of my mates have no lights at all!

I`m not that concerned about spring loading the platform,i thought of just lining it with some thick rubber or similar.

This is my project this summer,i work for an engineering firm so luckily a can takle this quite easily( err not mass production though,just do a bit when the gaffers not looking!)

PS if any manufacturers are reading this,when you have made a few,me bikespace and hughsey will gladly accept a free trailer each for giving youn this unique opportunity to make lots of dosh!! :D:D:D:beer:

Edited by gasgasssser