2010 Evo 250 - wear to coating on stanchions

Ceewbee

Hoping for some technical advice!

Looking at a 2010 Evo 250 and from the pics I have I can see the black coating on the stanchion has been worn away (only to the limit of the fork stroke). The seller has advised that seals are good with no leaking and no scoring, pitting etc to the leg itself.

I haven't seen any other bikes for sale with this same wear. How concerned should I be? Quick Google doesn't suggest it is a common problem and that as long as the fork operates normally its OK...but not much support either way for this.

I guess at the worst I would need to replace the forks - there seems to be breakers out there if I dont want to spend big money on trick kit.

Thoughts would be welcome! Thanks in advance.

I have a 2013 Evo and my black coating on the forks is worn.  Doesn't seem to affect their operation and there are no leaks.

Don't know how thick the black coating is but my bike has not had a hard life.

If the bike you are looking at looks well maintained, and is at a good price, I would not be put off by the forks.

• 1 month later...

Worn coatings indicative of lots of use. Common on well used Betas. Doesn't look good & not a selling point. No such a bad thing, as not generally a cause for leaks. Titanium Nitride is the type of coating, designed to reduce "stiction". If seals are good, then stanchions will run quite dry, resulting in wear. One for the future, ..always worth oiling stanchions with a few drops of light oil before each ride. At least it gives the coating, a bit more lubrication, and a fighting chance of it not getting rubbed off by the seals. To the casual observer  it might appear that your seals are starting to leak, but you will know better.

** Brook Suspension 01274 414 768 can re coat your stanchions if you wish. Pricey***