4RT Auto-Retract Sidestand Fix?

konrad

Does anyone have a solution to this problem?  I could not find anything via searching here.  No defeat strategy appears obvious to me.

I'm unwilling to pay Mitani's price, or to remove it completely.

Has this been a "feature" since the bike's introduction?

TIA.

My 2007 had the auto retract stand, it started to ware and sat to far forward over time so I decided to try the Mitani stand.  They look a bit strange but a fantastic bit of kit over all.

Only way to over come it would be to move the mounting location of the spring forward enough so it pulled that direction when past vertical but high enough so when back words it would keep it up when folded back.  

If you mess it up I would guess a new mounting bracket would likely be around $35 or so.  

The side stand sucks. Maybe a new version will be the big new step forward for 2020. Agree on not wanting to spend a fortune on a Mitani stand. The neighbours probably heard my expletives the other day when my bike fell over in slow motion on the driveway....

Just now, rr62 said:

The side stand sucks. Maybe a new version will be the big new step forward for 2020. Agree on not wanting to spend a fortune on a Mitani stand. The neighbours probably heard my expletives the other day when my bike fell over in slow motion on the driveway....

the 2018 has a new stand... Though I don't know if it auto retracts or not as I haven't seen one in person to verify, but would expect it dose.  

Jonny, thanks for the idea. The brackets are inexpensive:

0536-NN4-600 Bracket, Side Stand for ED/3E  $18.63 USD

50536-NN4-D10 Bracket, Side Stand for 2E/4E $12.46 USD

I wonder what the difference is? 3ED is the competition version, right?

Edited by konrad

The -600 part is silver for the standard models and the -D10 part is black for the Repsol models. Same part, different paint.

FWIW, the TWK (AKA: Mitani) stand is better in several ways. It stays up when up, and down when down. The foot is higher and out of the way, so it doesn't snag obstacles. It supports the bike much better, especially in sand, or on slopes, or just about anywhere. And as a bonus, it's 1/2 lb. lighter.

Extra for TWK sidestand users... the spring is Honda P.N. 50535-KN5-670. This spring is standard on XR200 / CRF150F / CRF230F / TLR200 / ...

• Like 1

I must be missing the point but what is the issue. I know the stands are not the best but a tweak and s bit of weld on the bracket every year or so makes them perfectly useable 

As for it flicking back up - always get off on the side stand side and hold the stand with your foot until the weight of the bike holds it  in place.

if that much of an issue maybe allow the stand to come forward a bit more on the bracket and weld a bit to make it go stiff when it gets there.

i think once the bike has had a bit of the use the stand is less likely to flick back up quickly anyway 

5 hours ago, jimmyl said:

I must be missing the point but what is the issue.

For me, it's mostly about consistency of use.  None of my other bikes auto-retract (or at least they did not do so for long).  Every other bike I've owned provided an easy means to defeat their auto-retract mechanism.

P.S. I removed the inner spring thinking that might do the trick, but no luck.  Not sure what that inner spring is supposed to accomplish -- maybe just Honda's "belt and suspenders" approach?

Edited by konrad

I'm sure after a bit of use they become stiffer so maybe look to re-profile the bracket when the stand is in the down position so it almost locks the stand in place -bit of weld and a file should suffice - maybe allow the stand to go further forward than when new will assist (as it does on a worn stand).

I put  my stand down and work on the bike with wheel out / brake caliper off and stand down so must be achievable   

With my 2017 300RR, I filed or ground the stand and mounting bracket a small amount to allow it to swing over- centre. It now stays in the down position enough to allow re-positioning the bike on soft ground or side slopes, without the infuriating habit of flipping up every time.

When the ground isn't level enough, I just lay the bike on it's uphill side. The EFI allows for easy restarting with no flooding or gas pouring from vents as on a carbed bike.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, konrad said:

Arbutus, thanks for sharing your solution.   How does that modification affect the stand on hard ground, like your garage floor or driveway?

The stock stand dose this over time without any modification.  When it happened on my 07 I found the stand didn’t sit very nice on my garage floor but did work.  Wasn’t long after that it was nearly folding forward and collapsing on its self.  

To move the top spring post forward in my opinion is a better modification as over time you can re-weld the stand and keep it working longer before it starts to collapse again and have a better footing when on its stand.

Edited by jonnyc21

I just let it wear so it doesn’t fold back. If it starts going too forward then weld the bracket to get it back to the slightly worn position.

if you build up the weld a bit at the front of the bracket this position last a long time . On a new bracket you can file the radius down a bit as said previously and then stick a blob of weld on the profile of the bracket to stop it going any further forward 

Mine is doing fine a year on after the mod. I took off just enough so that it barely goes over centre to stay in the down position. In fact it caught me out recently when i reached down with my right hand to fold it up, it snapped back taking my finger with it and squashing it against the swingarm. No 2 stroke needed to make the air blue at that time.