In The Days Of The

So Lane, reading the Dirt bike mag from November 76, paying attention to the report of the Wagner cup written by you good bud Len Weed.

Few mentions about you, [Q] Lane Leavitt took ninth, was third best American, and won the best pants award, runner up was Mick Andrews with his pattern sport trousers and John Metcalf in solid purple.]

[Q] Lane Leavitt reported that Birkett and Andrews tried to put the "turkey bite" on him. Saying things like: ho, I'm so tired and it's only the sixth section. And pointing out a line as the line and then riding another one]

Sounds like you were a whiny bugger back then also : rolleyes:

Another blurb that made me laugh a bit about the lean mean Leavitt machine of the 70's

[Q] With little more than a year's riding experience, Larry Gurley has already challenged the Leavitt/Darrow level in northern California trials aboard a stock Suzuki ]

This is words scribed by your own pal Lane, what sort of mate would take pi22 like that ?

Anyway time to let you know why Mart could find better grip up the slippery creeks when you lads were struggling, and went on to win that event, he pulled a fast one on you lads.

He stumbled across sticky tires by accident before there were sticky tires, Mart was sponsored by Hammonds sauce, one day after a practice session in the beck hole behind the workshop,I has a nipper and nowt to do, used to watch him, anyway he stopped for a bit of something to eat, pork pie from Bottomly's just down road, pies from the Lion were rubbish, that's if you could catch em, anyway he was slapping bottom of the sauce bottle and a big dollop shot out all over his new tire that was ligged against bench, well thinking nowt of it, he washed his bike and went Lion for a gill.

Next day when he went to get the new tire to fit it for the weekends trial he said "look young ish, that bloody stuff buggerd mi tyre/tire", it had eaten away at the rubber over night and made it like gum.

Being a tight bugger he painted the rest of the tire in the stuff, and left it for a day, washed it all off and used it to practice with, well the thing gripped like you to Debbie's trophies, it would stick like sh.t to a blanket in slippery wet sections, and as he got the sauce for nowt he started using painting on his event tires, dry rock sections knackered the tire up in no time in fact it was worse, but on the slick stuff it was the dogs.

Can't get the stuff today, but the A1 steak sauce works just as good, don't take my word for it, get an old tire and try it, only cost a $ or two, do you own test, easiest 20 points you'll ever save in a wet trial, if you had the same grip has he in the Goldbar Wagner cup, I think you could of been a lot closer.

I was only a nipper at the time, and saw it with my own eyes, I have never heard anyone ever mention it, so I don't think anyone but Mart and I knew, unless he doses Doug's tires with the stuff, I did notice they wrapped Doug's tires in there own personal blankets at the Duluth world round.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ishy, 75-76-77 were bad years for me, I could never come to grips with the 159 sherpa. And yes I was a whiney bugger about it! Where was the world round? Yes 9th at the US world round sucks even on a bike you hate!

As for the chop sauce trick? No comment!

How come everyone seems so hostile towards, and picks on Mich Lin? Is there some sort of oppressive pecking order in trials? This reminds me a lot about school, when there would always be at least one nerdy type person, and the whole class persecuted them.

Most riders seemed pleased with the sections, and PNTA had hit just the right level of difficulty.

Course was two loop 25 mile 25 sections/loop.

Martin Lampkin did what he was supposed to do, ride like a champion. Marland Whaley turned 18 and rode with the three best riders in the world , beating two of them.

Martin Lampkin at the awards banquet. "This was one of the best rounds this year, I have always been fond of the Spanish round, but I think this was very close to equaling it. I hope you get another event very soon."

Yrjo Vesterinen. "The US rounds get better each year. Rhode Island had some sections that riders had to start out paddling from the beginning and a high winning score. Here you had chance for a clean at every section."

Mick Andrews. "We need more trials like this, in the middle. Not extremely difficult, and not too easy, we used to teach you and now we are coming over and learning from you."

Honda teamster Joe Guglielmelli brought along a truck load of his Walla Walla sweet onions.

His titanium thumper was squeezed in the back somewhere.

Quite a good selection of photo's mostly in streams, looking at the pictures you can't tell how steep the hill is, but I have ridden up Goldbar many times, how anyone could compare a world round section from then with a section today,

and even begin to think it was anything close, needs to have a good look again.

Edited by ishy

[Q] With little more than a year's riding experience, Larry Gurley has already challenged the Leavitt/Darrow level in northern California trials aboard a stock Suzuki ]

So there it is! The Gurly Man with one [1, single, uno] year of trials experience on a stock Suzuki [i couldn't imagine a worse bike] was challenging our own "unofficial, self proclaimed" world class Beaver champion.

Just shows the difference in riding levels as compared to the present day.

It just never ends does it Beave?

One things for sure, you are a world class Beaver?

How come everyone seems so hostile towards, and picks on Mich Lin?  Is there some sort of oppressive PECKER order in trials? 

There most certainly is. You must understand that the Beave thrives on the persecution. You'll notice that he thanks me regularly for my thoughts and anectdotes as his mind somehow turns the persecution into praise. We stopped feeling sorry for him and simply continue to patronize his self righteous outburts as it offers a slightly igneomatic twist to our flatulant filled days. :madsanta:

Let me comment on Marland, Larry Girly and Adam Raga!

Marland was amazing and a much better rider than Bernie! He just lacked the heart to live in Europe and Honda didn't have the infastructure in place yet to provide the support he needed to sustain a world championship campain with an American. They became much better organized for trials in Europe later with Lejune!

Larry Girly was an MX rider who cross trained trials before competing at it and was good almost right away simply because he was on the bike training before he ever competed his first trial. He never was able to ride at the top levels but was always fun to ride with, we practiced together often and I helped with his riding technique. Much like if a current good young MX rider would improve really fast if he had a one of todays top level trials riders to train with.

Now if you put Adam Raga and his bike in a time machine. Put vintage Dunlap trials tires on his bike when he got there required by the rules, made him ride the classic non-stop rules at this US world round. He might not be able win against the stars of that day, even with his more modern bike. It would indeed be an interesting contest!

Raga's bike is designed to take advantage of the grippy tires! His bike witout a flywheel and the smooth power delervry of the bikes of that day simply would not hook up and find grip. He might not even finish in the top ten and score ANY world championship points at all.

I know this is only speculation but it would indeed be an interesting contest. I'd also like to try the time machine experiment with Debbie and Sanz!