S3 top end (big bore), worth it?

leosantanalg

On 9/24/2019 at 10:59 PM, jonnyc21 said:

Ya, my 300RR felt a bit sluggish and not quite as much bounce before I set the clickers on the front and rear suspension back a few and changed to the white tube.  Much better sense...

my two cents worth.  Hope it helps you out.

What make is the white tube you have  I’m assuming it’s the throttle on the handlebars that’s to change  is there anything else I need to do if I fit one of these thanks 

On 10/1/2019 at 5:21 AM, Robert n said:

What make is the white tube you have  I’m assuming it’s the throttle on the handlebars that’s to change  is there anything else I need to do if I fit one of these thanks 

A Domnio throttle tube works perfectly, direct swap shouldn’t need anything else other than maybe cable adjustment.

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 4:48 AM, jonnyc21 said:

A Domnio throttle tube works perfectly, direct swap shouldn’t need anything else other than maybe cable adjustment.

Thanks Iv had a look at mine and it’s already white I bought the bike second hand I’m thinking maybe it’s already been changed is the standard one black  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Robert n said:

Thanks Iv had a look at mine and it’s already white I bought the bike second hand I’m thinking maybe it’s already been changed is the standard one black  

Yes, if its already a white tube it has been changed from stock.  Every new 4RT or 300RR I have ever seen had a black tube when new.  

On 10/5/2019 at 6:47 PM, jonnyc21 said:

Yes, if its already a white tube it has been changed from stock.  Every new 4RT or 300RR I have ever seen had a black tube when new.  

Thanks just need to have a go at the suspension now 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 7:50 PM, jonnyc21 said:

If you really want to play with it what I would suggest is to take all the clickers and figure out where they currently are set and then write that down.

now that you have the information to reset back if you find your not sure what you did because it isn’t riding nice you can start working through it.

I would start next by taking a ride to make sure you have a feeling for current settings and then going to the extremes on the soft/bouncy side and test riding it so you can feel the difference.  

Now from all the way out start going in about 2-3 clicks at a time on all of them tell it feels like your not bouncing like a pogo stick but can feel some control in the compression and rebound.  (Write this position down as well for reference.)

Now you will want to re-calibrate your brain a bit by riding a full practice session or two at the new settings.  

At this point you should have a good idea if you want a little more compression because of drops or less because of defection when hitting sharp edges or to let it move a bit more for hops and such.

Same should apply for rebound, little less for a better hop, little more if it’s kicking back a lot on hard edges.

I know it sounds redundant and over the top to write things down but the more you have on where it was and currently is the easier it will be to reset or adjust so you can tweak as you go to get a better ride.

good luck!

Hi iv come to have a play with the folks  and found the left alan key one was already screwed all the way in and the other folk 13 clicks from the left could you tell me whats the factory setting so i know where to start from thanks  and the rear if you know its probably been messed with aswell  

22 hours ago, Robert n said:

Hi iv come to have a play with the folks  and found the left alan key one was already screwed all the way in and the other folk 13 clicks from the left could you tell me whats the factory setting so i know where to start from thanks  and the rear if you know its probably been messed with aswell  

The factory settings should be in the manual... if you don't the manual I can look them up for you, however...

It isn't really about starting from factory settings, its about knowing where you currently are so you can go back to at least what you are used to.  I wouldn't worry to much about factory settings.  

At this point I would suggest going all the way out on everything and then ride it a bit so you know what it feels like.  Then start going in 2 to 3 clicks at a time between rides on everything tell it start feeling good.  Then do a good full practice ride it at least once or twice before doing anything else.  

Now if you like it great, if you want better then start adjusting one thing at a time, in or out on the front rebound tell you like it and then ride a bit, next in or out on the front compression tell you like it, then the same on the rear tell its as good as you can get.  (Remember to write things down so you can go back at any point to what was last working well for you.)  

Finally, if you really like the current compression and rebound settings you can consider setting the sag if you want to go all the way.  (FYI: I find around a 35-38% sage seems to work really well on my Montesa for me)

3 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

The factory settings should be in the manual... if you don't the manual I can look them up for you, however...

It isn't really about starting from factory settings, its about knowing where you currently are so you can go back to at least what you are used to.  I wouldn't worry to much about factory settings.  

At this point I would suggest going all the way out on everything and then ride it a bit so you know what it feels like.  Then start going in 2 to 3 clicks at a time between rides on everything tell it start feeling good.  Then do a good full practice ride it at least once or twice before doing anything else.  

Now if you like it great, if you want better then start adjusting one thing at a time, in or out on the front rebound tell you like it and then ride a bit, next in or out on the front compression tell you like it, then the same on the rear tell its as good as you can get.  (Remember to write things down so you can go back at any point to what was last working well for you.)  

Finally, if you really like the current compression and rebound settings you can consider setting the sag if you want to go all the way.  (FYI: I find around a 35-38% sage seems to work really well on my Montesa for me)

Thankyou ill start there ?

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/16/2019 at 12:27 AM, leosantanalg said:

Does anyone have the top end big bore with 11 cc (299) ? Can I have feedback on the product?

I m considering to put one in my 300rr. Would that put any harm on the bike? 

Note: it also has a titanium pipe. 

Thanks 

Did you realize the project?
I am currently considering doing the same on my 300RR.

Thanks Bernd