Fantic 240 pegs lower and back - how much?

fxstbi

Dont just measure and transfer one bikes peg position to another. Work out how the rear brake will need to be modified if at all. Gear lever will this be ok for you further away, most probably. But.....sit on your bike with some blocks of wood on the floor level with the rear wheel spindle, arrange the blocks so that you can stand up and judge where best to position the pegs. This could be 3-4 inches back and down from the original by perhaps 2 inches or more to be level with the rear wheel spindle. Any lower and you will be banging into obstacles with the feet and footrests first before the wheel can raise you up. Experiment in this way until you are satisfied that you have a good position. Measure twice weld once??

• Like 3

On 10/8/2019 at 4:04 AM, fxstbi said:

I have an ‘82 240 Pro and I have read plenty on the perks of moving the pegs. I’ve not seen anything regarding how far down and how far back they need to be. Anyone have  dimensions? Thanks 

i only weld the footpegs 1-2 cm low, not back

• Like 1

20 hours ago, section swept said:

Dont just measure and transfer one bikes peg position to another. Work out how the rear brake will need to be modified if at all. Gear lever will this be ok for you further away, most probably. But.....sit on your bike with some blocks of wood on the floor level with the rear wheel spindle, arrange the blocks so that you can stand up and judge where best to position the pegs. This could be 3-4 inches back and down from the original by perhaps 2 inches or more to be level with the rear wheel spindle. Any lower and you will be banging into obstacles with the feet and footrests first before the wheel can raise you up. Experiment in this way until you are satisfied that you have a good position. Measure twice weld once??

This is an interesting approach, you can get a feel before welding, thanks. 

12 minutes ago, fxstbi said:

6’-1”

Also be interesting to know Alberto's height, if he's 5'6",  his recommendation is probably not so relevant.

Personally I go for roughly sump guard level, and in line with front of back tyre. Section swept is correct in saying getting the back brake working in the new position can be a fun experience. You do have to adapt your riding style as the pegs will  catch more, but well worth it in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, alberto said:

178 cm

Standard position is probably pretty close, footrests were pretty high in the 80's. There's a picture of Danillo Galeazzi's swm with the footrests moved forward somewhere on the swm forum.

It looks like it would be easy to make and weld a wedge as shown and weld on the peg holder. I could gain an inch of drop but nothing back. 

I also have a ‘17 Montesas 300 and I found that the pegs on my Fantic are 1” further back than the Montesa. No point, I just thought it interesting. 

86BD5EF4-078B-4547-97B7-A65EE5CD88A8.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Good idea, welding on top of the frame instead of a butt joint. That’s a simple way to get a custom location. Thanks for posting! 

Edit: I just looked and removing the peg mount and adding an overlay like b40rt shows the new peg mount can move down and back without having to move the kickstand. Thanks for sharing your ideas. 

Edited by fxstbi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1