Fantic 300 Professional

charlie

i have a 1985 300 fantic professional i bought off ebay as a non runner . it had no spark . after speaking with bill pye and checking out the stator coil with the ohms values he gave me it was o.k. i bought a new h.t coil and all was o.k .for 2 minutes anyway. bike started then stoped . now back to square one. no spark . any suggestions ?

hi.

check your stator coil readings out again,its possible your new ht coil was to much for the old stator coil,check for bare wire's on your wiring,disconect kill switch and then try for spark.

i have a fantic i just got out the garage again after 17 years of standing i found i'd replace one thing and another would go,think i must of replaced the whole bike now,but well worth it there a great bike.

If the bike has a red plastic moulded set of primary windings, or, only two wires at the ht coil if you have not removed the flywheel, you may have problems. These ignition systems are as rare as weapons of mass destruction in Iraq! If the HT has 3 wires it is a later type and the primary can be rewould.

if you do have the olded 2 cable system, you will need a complete new ignition system, plus crankcase and flywheel from a later fantic. a 241/301 or 303 will fit and are better as they have weights which can be removed.

If you cant get stuff from bill, I can get stuff here. that conversion will be well over 200 quid though!!!

Lee

it is the later type i believe . ducati is printed on the reverse of the stator .three cables to the h.t red green white. still no closer to the solution though. maybe coil is breaking down and does need rewinding? any comments greatly appreciated.

I also have a Fantic 300 that I cannot start however mine has a spark!

It has stood a while and initially fired but did not catch.

I changed the fuel and cleaned the carb bowl - still nothing.

Tried changing the plug but that has no effect and the old plug fires my other bike up no problem so its not that.

After trying a while the plug is wet with petrol and has a spark however it is not very strong. the woodruff key is OK so the flywheel has not moved.

Any ideas as to what to try next? :D

Sounds like it could be the stator coil as mentioned in the previous posts, as the first stages are a weak spark caused by insufficient power being produced from the coil.

However, to give it the benefit of the doubt, take out the plug, give it 10 kicks with no throttle to clear out the cylinder, bring it up on to top dead centre, squirt about a thimble full of fuel mix down the plug hole, stick in a new or clean plug and try to bump start it......reason being that you will generate more current by bumping than kicking!!!!

Good luck

Martin

Thanks for the advice

I have spoken to Bill Pye and am going to take it down to his place to check the electrics as he is only about an hour from me.

As I am new to all this I appreciate the help and look forward to using the Fantic as the 300 seems a good bike.

:boldblue:

Please ask bill for the test specs for a 83 240 pro and post them for me, I lost the sheet of paper with the ign. coil specs. and mine is dead again !!!

thank you very much...

Glenn

And there great bikes when the ignition works correctly.!.!.!#%^$#**

Edited by axulsuv

hi ants.

it's possible one of your crankshaft seal's has gone hard,which means that engine oil will be drawn into your cylinder and on to your plug,if that happens you got no chance of catching a spark.strip down the top end to see if all is well.you may also need a rebore.your problem does'nt sound electrical i'd say its more meachanical.

• 1 month later...

Fantic 300 update

I took the bike to Bill Pye and he checked the stator resistance and pronounced it OK so he fitted a new HT Coil and she fired up straight away, however the bearing was making a rumbling sound so the bike was switched off and the parts bought.

When the engine was dismantled everything was in very good order and once the bearings were pressed in and reassembled it started first kick and now sounds as sweet as a nut.

The problem I now have is that the bike starts and ticks over great and rides good at low revs, but it will not accelerate or rev freely.

All I can think is that the Stator requires some attention or the float is set wrong as the HT Coil, and plug are new and the engine ticks over at almost no revs quietly suggesting all is OK there.

The mix is, if anything, a little rich but the plug was grey at the electrode suggesting lean running?

Do I look at the carb in the first instance.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.