Water In Gear Box

kenny123

hi. i was out today and was riding in the stream when the front end of my bike droped of a ledge. the water more or less covered my handlebars. i managed to eventualy start it but could it have caused any damage. i gave it a good pelt over the moors and all seemed ok. when i got home i realised that water had got into the gear box oil so i drained it and changed the oil but the oil has gone cloudy again. what is the best way to get rid of the water? is it to keep changin the oil? thanks. its a gas gas 2003 200 pro

Drain the gearbox oil,then re-fill with petrol (2 stroke mix)the same ammount as you would put in if it was oil,start bike and run for a couple of minutes,drain and put in the cottect ammount of oil.I have done this a couple of times on my bikes,the advise was given by a proffesional bike mechanic.

Drain the gearbox oil,then re-fill with petrol (2 stroke mix)the same ammount as you would put in if it was oil,start bike and run for a couple of minutes,drain and put in the cottect ammount of oil.I have done this a couple of times on my bikes,the advise was given by a proffesional bike mechanic.

That is insane ! Unless you enjoy strapping explosives to your body of course.

Must have been a reply from an anti-GasGas owner. You'd have to flush out either one eventually anyway. At lease water has some lubricating propery to it. What takes oil off something the fastest? GAS ! Who knows what it will do to fibre clutch plates.

I think you may be mixing 2 different problems. If your waterpump seal goes, you will get coolant water in the tranny fluid. Your drowning is a separate issue.

Get a jug of cheap dexron ATF. Fill, run til cloudy, drain repeat.

If it still doesn't clear up then you may have a waterpump seal problem. When my seal went, it took 2 changes to clear things up. A drowning may take 5-10 oil changes.

I use trans fluid in mine normally, but you can use whatever oil you want. I wrote another post on changing the seal a couple months back. You'll probably want to replace the pump shaft too as its most likely the cause of the seal going bad. Do a search or look back a few pages for 'cloudy oil' or 'waterpump' posts.

The advise about putting in petrol was from a very reliable source,I did it twice once when drowned and the other time the water pump seal had gone.The bike in question has obviously got the water in through the breathers when it was submerged in the beck.if you have any doubts just keep flushing with oil,but the advise was given in good faith to me.

ok Thanks alot for the advice. well i have bought some more gear box oil this afternoon so will try it once more and see how it goes. the oil which is in now is cloudy but not half as much as it was when i drownd it. but the gears are working fine so am i best just leaving it or could it cause more damage