Bing

rocker1

I have two other bikes with Bing carburettors that perform perfectly.

my 350 Alpina (1977) however has always been a trifle fluffy on low throttle openings. 

I have just fitted new needle and jet as part of a service and the needle clip was in the lowest groove, 

what is the recommend position or is it just suck it and see. 

Thanks.

Second grove counted from the top or second lowest / leanest adjusting of the needle is standard or normally a good start if you are on or near sea level.

Then do some rides a half km or so at a bit up hill with 3/4 throttle if the engine doesn't sound lean, return slow or with clutch or without gear downhill.

After that control the new or cleaned plug for coloration, brown is OK black or wet is to rich and whitish is to lean. 

• 4 weeks later...

The Bing is good, the Dell'Orto better but 28mm is a bit much, my Bultaco 199b got very powerfull with that size of carb with a 26mm PHBH the bike got much nicer and throttle friendlier.

Both sides of the Dell'Orto are smaller in diamter then the bulky Bing so you have to make adapters (tubes rings) to mount the Dell'Orto.

d6ByICR75aiLkCrjOcFolQRvujijUysiIwmXRCgh

If you are very good in machining you might tune the Bing, fitting a brass slide with a flat underside and a rounded cut away of 60° also a rounded edge in the middle in visor line of the needle, then also replace the idle jet, polish the edges and chamfer the intake side in a more aerodynamic matter this will transform the carb to a better the Dell'Orto unit.

WhxdsbgsnAx7PWmFTVj8OxNfb2tKTiXkqi-RXdL2

9POs3x7cDEeFyp0BKtsCeur_qTGIOrLoeS9bXFIi

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, YvesHaesevoets said:

Hey pschrauber.

What is the Carb setup you use in your 26mm PHBH for the 199B? I am looking for a bing replacement for my 199B

Much obliged.

Yves

Sorry I have a 28mm fitted to my Sherpa a 26mm would be in my personal view as stated but probably not so well expressed would the better.

The best result I got with a SmartCarb btw. I have mounted a 25mm to my SWM TL.NW and it is a blast under all riding conditions:

ACtC-3dAH3-NO90P1lwwQs-vjOox_MmfsU3mpfrE

If you are looking for a great replacement this is the best option to any bike, i have mounted this kind of carb to two bikes already.

I can provide you the spec's of the 28mm PHBH if you are interested in them as well.

9 hours ago, pschrauber said:

Sorry I have a 28mm fitted to my Sherpa a 26mm would be in my personal view as stated but probably not so well expressed would the better.

The best result I got with a SmartCarb btw. I have mounted a 25mm to my SWM TL.NW and it is a blast under all riding conditions:

ACtC-3dAH3-NO90P1lwwQs-vjOox_MmfsU3mpfrE

If you are looking for a great replacement this is the best option to any bike, i have mounted this kind of carb to two bikes already.

I can provide you the spec's of the 28mm PHBH if you are interested in them as well.

Currently retailing for $500 plus.

https://technologyelevated.com/product/25mm-sc1-smartcarb/

Edited by model80

Hi Yves, 

I made bushings out of PA6 plastic on booth sides as the flanges of the Dell'Orto are smaller. 

Now the specs:

main jet: 110

idle jet: 45

needle: X2

clip: 3rd groove from top

needle jet: AV 266

slide: No. 40

choke jet: 70

gas valve: 200

I live near sea level took 3rd groove to the needle so high up therefore small idle jet, that worked well for me. 

• Like 1