Bultaco Resto Project

Old Gezzer

Hi All,

Just aquired a Bultaco 198-A I think? to restore. I was told by the seller that the bike has been in a shed for 30 years [And it looks like it]. I am after confimration of which model I have got and a few other questions.

The frame Number is RB 198 03580-A

Engine number is RM 198 03580-A

There are no bottom frame tubes but a factory looking alloy bash plate fitted.  Also the rear frame tube is missing and looks as if it is an original alteration. It looks like the 199A Bultaco on the In motion Bike ID page.

I will be looking for a Rear Wheel and Brake Plate  as there was an unknown wheel fitted very badly in the bike.

I will post phots of progress as it happens.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1603.jpg

DSC02148.JPG

DSC02153.JPG

The model is as you've said, a 198A which is a 1979 model 250 (actually 238cc) No bottom frame tubes and alloy bashplate is correct for this model

Rear mudguard loop has been cut off to copy the mod that Comerfords did to the bikes of supported riders at the time, although the bolt on mudguard brackets weren't, that is something a previous owner has done

Rear wheel looks Honda. It's not unusual for the bearing housing on the brake side to break up or the chrome to peel off the braking surface in the hub on the Sherpa wheel which maybe why it's been replaced. Or, someone has fitted it so they can have a wheel with a right sided brake  so that a right hand pedal can be linked directly to the brake with a rod, although this one has a badly done cable link. With the normal Sherpa wheel a right hand pedal needs a cable to the brake arm which isn't always popular, so some owners use a Yamaha, Montesa or Honda wheel instead to move the brake to the right

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Progress update on my 198A. I have had the frame away and had the butchered rear frame loop replaced. I have also now got the correct rear wheel but I am still missing a Rear Brake Plate and the "Seal" that fits under the rear sprocket into the rear brake aperture.

The work continues.

DSC02163.JPG

DSC02164.JPG

DSC02165.JPG

Edited by Old Gezzer
Spelling!
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, vintagenut said:

Wow - beautiful work!  It's near impossible (okay - IS impossible) to see where you joined the old tubes to the new loop.  Really well done!  Looking forward to your continued progress.  I'm sure she's gonna be a stunner when done.  Enjoy the process ~

C.

As much as I would like to take credit for the replacement rear loop I can't. I am a time served fabricator but small bore tube is not my thing. The work was done through a friend of mine who has knows a fabricator somewhere on Merseyside who does quite a bit of work for him. I have seen other frame repair work he has done and it is very high quality. Not cheap but good work ain't cheap.

On 9/29/2020 at 11:14 AM, Old Gezzer said:

Not cheap but good work ain't cheap.

Got that right.  But it'll be so worth it once she's finished. 

I do the same myself.  If I can't produce the level of work I'm after, I'll pass it to another who can - provided it's within my financial means to do so.  If ya want art (and beautiful welding certainly qualifies in my book), it's best to leave the work to a true artist.  And that's definitely some pretty impressive work you've got right there!

Good luck with your build!

Cheers -

C.

16 hours ago, vintagenut said:

Got that right.  But it'll be so worth it once she's finished. 

I do the same myself.  If I can't produce the level of work I'm after, I'll pass it to another who can - provided it's within my financial means to do so.  If ya want art (and beautiful welding certainly qualifies in my book), it's best to leave the work to a true artist.  And that's definitely some pretty impressive work you've got right there!

Good luck with your build!

Cheers -

C.

Thank You. ?

Ready to go for Powder Coat in the morning. I have had to do a lot of repair work to the Swing Arm.

Replace the chopped of Rear Brake anchor point

Repair the mounting point for the side stand rubber

Repair and strengthen the side stand mouning bracket

Replace the outer side plate for the chain rubber block

Replace the front rear brake cable mounting dowel

Oh the fun of restoring old abused trials bikes.

DSC02166.JPG

DSC02167.JPG

DSC02168.JPG

• Like 2

Hi,

Got my Frame, Swinging Arm + Side Stand back from the Powder Coaters. I hadn't used this guy before but he is into bikes and older cars so was aware of what I was looking for. He also did all the blanking off etc prior to doing the Powder Coating. Very reasonable I thought at £90 all in.

The colour code is RAL5015 a touch on the light side but I am happy with it.

Now let the spending start !!

DSC02185.JPG

DSC02186.JPG

DSC02187.JPG

DSC02188.JPG

Edited by Old Gezzer
  • Like 2

Nice! I acquired my 198a on Friday and it’s now in bits! Frame originally blue but at some time hand painted grey, but chipped and needs doing. Was thinking of paint as I didn’t think you could get powder in RAL numbers, so will look into that. Tank is probably my biggest problem, alloy but at sometime took a very heavy hit to one side so will need a lot of work. Given that you can get a new plastic one for £200 (admittedly not with ethanol proof stickers) may go that way if too expensive!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A quick update on the progress up to today.

I do get great satisfaction putting stuff together with mainly new parts. Now I need to spend some more money with Inmotion.

I have had quite a few other parts blasted i.e Fork Bottoms, Both Side Cases, Both Hubs, Barrel and Head.

More to follow.

DSC02206.JPG

DSC02207.JPG

Edited by Old Gezzer
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

Another update on my 198A Resto.

All the Black parts have been away to the Powder Coaters.

Another expensive delivery from Inmotion to go with one I had a couple of weeks ago which contained an Oversize Piston and a Rod Kit.

Full set of Engine Bearings sorted out.

The rod kit fitting is awaiting the guy to open up after the latest Lock Down but the Barrel is away getting bored as I type.

Latest progress is fully rebuilt and fitted Front Forks, with New Stanchions, Intenal Seal Kit, Oil Seals, Outer Wiper Cap Seal, New Stancion Top Nuts.

The work goes on.

DSC02221.JPG

DSC02222.JPG

DSC02223.JPG

Edited by Old Gezzer
Spelling!
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Looking really good! And have to say your garage is a lot neater (and bigger) than mine! My 198A restro is also coming along.FAA76D3A-BDB2-49FD-9D6E-F85D842F179D.thumb.jpeg.c937ec0762cf0b58901951b4ea19b536.jpeg

Taken a while as other than the frame I've done the prep and painting myself, including refurbing the original Falcon shocks which took ages! Currently being frustrated by poorly fitting cables! The throttle my own fault as I ordered a straight pull rather than 90 deg. but found I just couldn't get the solder to flow when I shortened it! But the clutch cable is just too long? So ordered some solder free Venhill nipples to shorten!

I don't know if you've tackled repacking the silencers? After research I took the plunge and opened them up with a dremmel and they were certainly very gunged up and so cleaned and repacked. As I don't have a welder I replated with 2mm ally and pop-riveted after sealing with copper silicone. Will enable future fiddling if required and when painted looks OK,  even though I elected to open the mid-silencer on the visible side rather than compromise the integrity of the bracket etc.

IMG_1429.thumb.jpeg.de14f45cd9ec5ad1cbd91496f202599d.jpeg

Its all good fun and interesting to see yours! Going to try lacing the wheels next as I can't get to the man I had lined up due to lockdown. I can always take them to sort out and true if I struggle!

Cheers Jon

• Like 3