Yorkshire Spanglish

neils on wheels

I've just been watching some of the rider interviews on the indoor trials website & couldn't help but notice that James Dabill has started to emulate Doug's habit of speaking to Spanish interviewers in pigeon English.

Is this Jake's careful coaching or an attempt to be more Spanish for the audience & the indoor sections?

I think it's something to do with the fact that if they speak in their normal accents no one has a clue what they are on about. So they speak in this pidgeon version of English so that they can be understood.

No offence intended Neils on Wheels...but personally it irritated me when someone took the p*** out of colley doing that once.

THese guys probably spend most of their life abroad, and as anyone who has lived abroad knows,(and yes I have too), it IS easier to be understood if you dont speak at 100 miles an hour in a thick Brummy accent or something.

Personally, I think it is just a matter of politeness to the people they are talking too, and, as I have found, the listeners are usually VERY gratefull that you are habla mas despachio!!!!!! <_<

phew...glad I got that off my chest....a worthwhile post though neil..so please dont think I'm ranting at you :lol:

<_< On a similar topic... I have found that my riding has improved dramatically by emulating ( in a Geordie /Spanish style) the Spanish riders' and minders' utterings.. especially when delivered at hi speed:--

Quanto quanto!..seat alhambra!..heeho de pootah!.. you know, the sort of thing Raga uses to get out of a tight situation!?

Try it :D:lol:

Edited by HAM2

I have great fun with my French riding buddy swapping swear words[gros mots] in five situations!!

I agree with Stu that it's just courtesy to help being understood in other cultures to learn there language and accents it's genuinely appreciated,stimulating and rewarding.........if you can't dig communicating with people jeez your missing out on stuff.

Always found "ey' up" in Yorkshire and "hi y'a Boss nice day 'innit" at Mr Patel's my old cornershop worked for me.

H