Tlr Clutch

not ron

I am sure this has been asked before but there are many problems with the TLR clutch such as rapid wear, clutch slip and jerky operation.

What experience is there of modifications or alternative parts to improve it?

Are there any alternative plates and springs that work well?

In particular what oils have worked well?

I already use the Honda CG125 anti-jerk kit.

I too have done the CG 125 clutch mod/kit and it is miles better. I was advised to use a Castrol superbike oil, need to go to the garage to check which one, to help it run cooler, but i have gone back to useing morris's mono grade 30 which i use in the Fantic. You never get any clutch slip and at

post-900-1139169207.jpg

Hi,

i've never had any problems with drag, wear anything like that. I took the clutch apart last year and the plates were in good condition with plenty of scope left. Have little problem with a grabby clutch, I don't use it much anyway, let the engine do its job

donald

I too have done the CG 125 clutch mod/kit and it is miles better. I was advised to use a Castrol superbike oil, need to go to the garage to check which one, to help it run cooler, but i have gone back to useing morris's mono grade 30 which i use in the Fantic. You never get any clutch slip and at

• 2 years later...

I have a RS250TA which some say is just a 'home market' TLR250 and others believe is a RSC built bike to look like (but not ride like!) the TLR250 - which ever is the case, I had bad clutch judder when it was hot in all gears but first!

I spoke to Tim at Gordon Farleys and he recommended Castrol R4 10w/40 Superbike Oil (now renamed 4T just in case you can't find R4!). Tim also recommended the CG125 anti-judder kit provided that my clutch was in good condition with nothing badly worn that might be causing the juddering. Tim didn't recommend or rate the Barnett Kevlar clutch plates yet others (such as Mike at B and J Racing) swear by them and supply kits for the TLRs.

I stripped my clutch down on Satureday and replaced the 2nd, 3rd and 4th friction plates with Barnett Kevlar plates (part number 301-35-10008), I was told that you don't use Kevlar on the 1st and 5th plates as they run directly against aluminium and the kevlar wears it away much faster than a standard plate. I also changed all te steel plates for a set I bought from www.trialsbits.co.uk for

I've got a 1985 TLR 250F

I bought it from the original owner in 1990. First time out in the practice sections, the clutch got so noisy I thought it was gonna explode.

Contacted the dealer that had imported the bike and was promptly set up with the regular Barnett plates. They cured the growling, chattering clutch.

After wearing them out, I switched to the kevlar plates with the same good results.

In my experience the Barnett plates are the definitive fix for the TLR's clutch.

Bryan

• 6 months later...

hey,

i have problems with the clutch to after a lap or 2 i have to adjust the lever and clutch becomes verry on-off,

i ride on the clutch all the time i just cant ride a tlr 250 without clutch (expert twinshock) other than that the bike is quite good (still stock)

i use denicoil 15-50 for wet clutch and change after 2 trials

regards bob

• 3 months later...

Hi, ive just read this,ive had my honda tlr 250 from new in 1985 and used to ride it in the expert class.I now ride it in twinshock trials and o/40 in modern trials.I use turbo diesel 10/40 oil,std clutch plates,do get very little judder but nothing you notions in a section (still got orginal springs and metal plate) and hardly ever have to adjust it.as for the growling an old boy told me about 8 years ago to fit a washer behind the clutch basket to take up the free play but not tight leave about 2thou play and ive never had no more growling .Hope this help someone?I ride this bike hard and often.