One For Stopping

bikespace

So your brave move will be to keep it the same :D

Desperado Publicity Stunt? He'll try anything :D

I've heard on Sunday he tried to leave a permanent advertising hoarding in the lower field - HIS VAN :hyper:

If you followed my tyre tracks, I only just made it, but I needed to get back for the rugby so was more committed :ph34r:

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was out of my depth on Sunday in the Group trial, so I did what I could then stood back and watched the more talented (and much braver) riders going around.

It was amazing how many cleans I saw where the rider should have been given a five for bouncing sideways whilst stationary.

The skill demonstrated was amazing, but how many riders would have kept moving if the observer(s) had marked them strictly to the rules?

We can't blame riders for "hopping and bopping" if the observers allow it. We also can't blame the observers for being lenient if that is what is expected (the norm.)

What we need is a scoring system which is simple to understand and easy to remember. One that observers are not reluctant to enforce.

I personally feel that full non-stop is that rule.

Your front wheel stops moving forward and you get a five.

So your brave move will be to keep it the same  :D

Desperado Publicity Stunt? He'll try anything  :D

I've heard on Sunday he tried to leave a permanent advertising hoarding in the lower field - HIS VAN  :hyper:

If you followed my tyre tracks, I only just made it, but I needed to get back for the rugby so was more committed  :ph34r:

I did follow your tracks - Just missed the Beemer as you did - but fived the crest of the bank. Then it got scarey going sideways backwards on the slant and looking down that bank. It was slick on a bike let alone trying it in the van ! Missed the rugby after all that.

Think I'll be more patient and wait a while next time.

I personally feel that full non-stop is that rule.

Your front wheel stops moving forward and you get a five.

How do you think riders in the Midlands would cope with a full non-stop type trial when it isnt the norm round here?

It wouldn't make any difference to the majority of riders who ride in our trials. They can't trick ride effectively anyway. As for the top 10% who can, they are the best riders and would continue to be so under non stop rules I guess.

If the FIM went full non stop and the ACU followed, everything would be so much simpler. Then perhaps there would be more than five riders in the world who could ride the WTC sections... and that would be much better for the sport.

Imagine a world round with 60 starters.

Ok, ok I'm dreaming again, but it's a nice thought.

How likely is it that the WTC will go to non-stop?

I think it is very likely.Maybe in a year or two. The only reason i think it has'nt already been made so is because the current top 3 riders in the world have too much clout, and they don't want no-stop.

The majority of the factories want no-stop.

I think things will start to change at the end of the Dougie Era.

How likely is it that the WTC will go to non-stop? and later this year I will go up t'north to ride one of Perce's trials and see what its like up there :hyper:

Are you fishing for a 3 Day ride? :D

LOL, a 3 day trip maybe :D one day to get there and ride the trial, one day in hospital recovering and one day to get back :ph34r:

Seriously though, what one day trial do you have on in a few months time that would be a good example of a non-stop trial i could go to?

whatever you decide, or how you decide to interpret the rule you chose it still rests upon one fundamental

how does the observer interpret a stop

the fact observers are currently under *BOTH* TSR-22-A and TSR-22-B not penalising stopping (and sidewards and even back-wards motion) means the TSR-22-A or B debate is academic

until all observers are singing form the same hymn sheets consistently then you can move forward and make a decision about whether you want to create a TSR-22-C (ie hopping an bopping allowed)

rabie B)

Got an anonymous letter today from somewhere in Shropshire, forwarded via our secretary. I'm not really sure of the tone of the letter, but I'm thinking that someone thought I was having a go at our observers. That was never my intention, and reading through my previous posts I think the only bit that could be misconstrued would be where i said we were fairly slack in our area for marking a '1' for a stop. I was including myself in that on the occasions I have observed.

I think most people will know that I never complain about any observing, and I am always in defence of observers from prima donna riders who should know better. Hopefully I've not upset one of our observers, who we really do need and I ABSOLUTELY APPRECIATE!

My discussions were aimed really at how hard we make it for observers by having rules which don't seem to be working in a lot of situations.

Apologies if someone got annoyed about any comments I made, they were not meant in the way that I think they were received. I'M ON YOUR SIDE B)

Oh well, letter copied below word for word to give the observer their say on-line:

Dear Gary,

Couldn't help but put my view forward, sorry have not got a computer.

"STOP!"

Rules are rules

from an observers point of view (one that does not give marks for stopping!) AND has read the rules time and time again.

However! It's a good job all sections are not all exactly the same, that goes with the observer too (wouldn't that be boring!!)

You should know by now that we all judge things differently, what might be a stop to you, might not be a stop to me.

One dab may mean one mark to you. But when I've seen you dab once, twice and then another.

Protesting at the end of a section, saying you've only had the one dab Means nothing.

I noz what I've seen! I'm Observing.

And any way, just because one observer gave you one mark for stopping, the next observer might not, so your lucky! Just remember which section that observer gave you that mark for stopping and don't Bluddy stop again. Tuff Luck!!

OR put it this way.

You may have a easy section, but the observer is tight it then makes that section hard.

You may have a really tricky section and a observer with no experience, doesn't know how to mark correctly, that section is then made easy.

Look at it differently

Kids that might get to ride a world round will suffer. If they never experience losing a mark for stopping, here with our clubs.

Where is the experience going to come from

Their big day at the National, a World Round who knows?

Better still ban the observer. who stands in the rain, snow, thunder, freezing cold wind, blazing hot sun, catching sun stroke every week and punch your own cards!!!!

I'm a bit unclear as to whether they are annoyed at me or not, but as they haven't got a computer, I'm assuming I've maybe been misquoted off-line.

Just wondering if something else has happened in the background?

Hopefully the message wil get back to them.

Feeling a little guilty but mainly as I think I've been misunderstood. B)

If I saw a rider turning round and having a go at an observer as mentioned in the letter, I'd be one of the first to bite their head off.