Is it a 125 or 200

KmK

Hi all, I just bought a 2020 Vertical 200.

It was advertised as a 200 and it has a 200 sticker on the rear fender.

Interestingly, the original Titile of origin says it is a 125 and the motor is stamped with a 125 code.

Does any know if there is any way to verify this bike is actually 200cc ?

2020 Vertical 200.jpg

The 200 model is based on a 125 motor and for paper work purposes is documented as a 125. Much like the 280 is based on the 300 and also, for paper work purposes is documented as a 300. You can tell the 200 is a 200 and not a 125 by the motor performance, it pulls more like a 250 than a 125. If you wanted to verify that you do indeed have a 200 motor, then remove the exhaust pipe and measure the bore diameter which would be 64mm rather than the 54mm of the 125. Bye, Peter B.

• Like 2

I have never ridden a 250, or a fuel injected bike, but the Vertigo Vertical I just bought appears to have quite a bit of torque. My other trials bike is a modified 86' TY 350. Thanks peterb for clarifying that "for paper work purposes (the 200) is documented as a 125". I would never have figured out that it is possible to measure the bore, without taking off the head, through the front exhaust port on the cylinder jug. Also thanks tshock250 for the suggestion to contact vertigo uk, I didn't realize that was an option. I have read that Vertigomotors provides great support and I will let you know if they reply.

Edited by KmK
typing errors

• 2 weeks later...

We don't have VED (Vehicle Excise Duty) taxes where I live. I would think you could say it is a 125 according to the engine markings and origin of Title paperwork.

The sticker on the fender might be an issue during the MOT test / inspection. So I am not really sure how this discrepancy is best resolved.

I would think that the engine stamping and origin of Title paperwork is more official than the sticker, so for taxation purposes legal documents seem more appropriate.

Hopefully this wouldn't mean that you would have to take the nice sticker off the fender. When I purchased this bike the only thing I had to go on, to believe it is in fact a 200, is the sticker.

The dealer said that the S3 cylinder jug should be stamped 200cc but I could not find this anywhere on the cylinder jug.

I like all of the suggestions to measure the bore from the exhaust port, but currently the bike has less than 100 hours on it, and I don't want to remove any parts.

When I service the top end and/or exhaust, I will measure the bore.