Sherco Went Into Reverse And Now Won't Start?!?!

andy_290

Hi All,

Gutted, went out for my first trial on a 2005 Sherco 290 I recently bought, had a good 3 hours riding and then sat talking to someone on tickover in neutral for 5 mins or so, then I opened the throttle to clean it out and it wouldn't rev properly, there was a kind of delay on the throttle, I opened it wide open and it wouldn't rev out fully, so I decided to take it for a run up the track, but when I put it into 1st gear and released the clutch, it set off in REVERSE!! so I killed it immediately, and since then it won't start?!

Any suggestions as to the cause much appreciated!

Andy

but when I put it into 1st gear and released the clutch, it set off in REVERSE!!

Definate 5 don't care what rules your riding under, going backwards is a 5 :hyper::D

Seriously though, used to happen on the old twin shock bultaco's. I was only 12 then and didn't really understand why.

If you don't get any answers on here speak to MRS, see if they know the problem

my mate on his crappy 50cc used to bump start it backwards and it used to ride backwards dont know why but as mentioned its probably fifing on the up stroke.

Or bad fuel (i learnt this in chemistry but im sure you dont want to hear the explanation also i cant remember it :hyper: )

but when I put it into 1st gear and released the clutch, it set off in REVERSE!!

Definate 5 don't care what rules your riding under, going backwards is a 5 :hyper::D

Why is it when I made the same comment it got deleted. Are you censoring the Americans now Andy?

I deleted it. When someone asks a genuine question in either the bike specific forums or the Technical forums then if someone posts a comment which adds no value to the thread, it gets deleted. The post you refer to had some advice on contacting MRS so I left it in.

So shut up your crying Craig so we can get on!

Either the keyway has sheared, most likely, and only a 50 cent part,or you have a big problem as your crankshaft has inverted! When this happens you usually get a strange feeling in the bum-----near your wallet!

Be sure to torque it back properly, the flywheel that is! :hyper:

I recall a story where a champ rider on an old Bultaco was killed after the bike went into reverse halfway up a big hill.

I think it was the old ones with contact points that would do that.

I was rocking the wifes 1.25 in gear once to break loose the sticky clutch when it took off forward, got my attention!