Main Bearings Refurb!

team andrew

Having recently purchased a 290 2002 after a ten year break from the sport, after a fantastic day out practising a disturbing rattle appeared. My colleagues, all fellow sherco owners grimaced and explained the dreaded main end bearing syndrome!!!!

How difficult is it to do yourself and where can I purchase a flywheel puller!!!

:D

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's as complicated a job that there is on a motorcycle.

That's not to say it's brain surgery or anything, but you'll be sorry if your transmission drops out and you have to chase it around the kitchen floor.

Check the RYP website for overhaul info.

If you're not sure about doing it yourself, you can save a lot of money by doing as much as you can, i.e. removing and stripping the motor as far as you can and giving what's left to somebody to do the mains.

My God!! I myself have been out of the game for years and bought a Sherco with main bearing rattle!!

Anyways in fairness I was told (and I could hear it) about my bikes problems before I bought it, back to the job in hand.

The job is straight forward enough, as you say you will need a flywheel puller and also a Clutch holding tool, there are other ways of locking the engine up to undo nuts but most of them can be a bit heath robinson.

Download all the files off the Sherco website and your away, besides the bearings and seals you'll also need: waterpump seal, base gasket, head gaskets (o rings) and a crankcase gasket (I thinkj thats the lot!).

I managed to do mine in a day (from start to finish), Don't buy the seals and bearings off the dealer...you WILL be ripped off.....I got the bearing numbers and seal part numbers off the Sherco website and I got them from a local bearing stockist for about 7 pounds in total.

have fun

Mark

Edited by Marky G

I should probably let it pass, but as you are reading this, I will not.

While you could run around your dealer and get some of the parts from a bearing house or such, remember that when you are trying to get an explanation of how to do it. Or when your Dealer is no longer there to support you.

I have done it myself, and will do it again in the future I am sure.

But a good dealer is well worth the extra couple of pounds or bucks or whatever so that you get one stop shopping and the expert advice and experience that goes with it.

The soap box is getting slippery so I will get off it now.

But a good dealer is well worth the extra couple of pounds or bucks or whatever so that you get one stop shopping and the expert advice and experience that goes with it.

The soap box is getting slippery so I will get off it now.

Alan, I've got no problems buying from dealers if the charged ' a couple of pounds extra' but thats the point, on some parts folks get well and truly shafted......I wonder how much Sherco would charge for 2 main bearings and Crankshaft seals??

If only I was rich enough not to bother :D:P:(

Is there some kind of manufacturing problem with these sherco's then?

I've heard that some are noisy on the gearbox from new and some aren't, doesn't seem very good engineering to me, and also if you have to change the main bearings on fairly newish bikes seems a bit odd, no-one else think this too?

Is there some kind of manufacturing problem with these sherco's then?

I've heard that some are noisy on the gearbox from new and some aren't, doesn't seem very good engineering to me, and also if you have to change the main bearings on fairly newish bikes seems a bit odd, no-one else think this too?

Your right TX270, there must be something wrong, when you think about it...... we pay

Edited by Marky G

I am seeing a lot of China bearings at our local industrial supply house. Best check the quality, and the tolerance fits.

While I hate to spend too much for parts, I am also aware of the value of supporting the local dealer.