TRS E-Start Charging System Not Working

Bike_Breaker

I am a longtime lurker, but never had cause to make a post (or make an account) as I’ve always been able to find the information I needed already posted. However, I can’t seem to find anything on this issue. I have a ’21 250 TRS RR E-Start. The changing system on the battery for my E-Start isn’t working.  I can re-charge the battery and the e-start will work for awhile but ultimately the battery dies again and wont turn over. I hit the e-button on a tree and had to replace it, but it worked fine when replaced. Can anyone give me some targeted suggestions about where to look. I am hoping it’s just something in the wiring. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Can I ask how are you re-charging the battery? Are you using a Lithium battery specific Charger, or charging from just running the bike. And if using a charger how are you connecting it, as there is a relay within the battery "box", so you have to make the connection on the battery side of the relay, not on the bike side.

I'm using a lithium charger to charge the bike. I run the bike for hours and it wont charge the battery at all. To charge the battery, I open up the battery housing and connect it to the terminals inside. Not exactly a quick task, since you got to take the headlight housing and everything off. I am surprised how long the battery will start the bike before it runs down. I'm pretty certain the alternator system isn't working. I don't think the battery is discharging or anything like that. 

I did pull the E-Start wiring diagram from TRS. I'm attaching it for anyone who might want to reference it in the future. I did not find anything amiss in the wiring when I looked it over last night. I'm going to do a voltage test on the alternator tonight. 

21 TRS E Start Wiring.pdf

Edited by Bike_Breaker

• 10 months later...

A multi meter on the terminals should increase when the engine is running. DC voltage should go up to perhaps 14.5v at mid revs. ( haven't tried a TRS but general principle is the same). If it isn't you have a problem.  You can then unplug the alternator and test AC voltage I'd be totally guessing here, perhaps 30 to 50 volts at mid revs.  Clearly if its bugger all, then you problem is there.  If its healthy,  you problem is upstream.  Which would throw immediate suspicion on the battery itself,  but could be wiring or rectifier regulator. 

Edited by F5Dave
  • Like 1

• 11 months later...

I have the same problem. It was running in the evening and flat the next morning. I understand there's a regularor/rectifier that likely knackered. I read a technical bulletin showing a simple test between pins 2 & 3 and 4 & 5. Pins 1 & 6 are the AC. I've not yet tried it though.

31 minutes ago, bigfoot said:

I have the same problem. It was running in the evening and flat the next morning. ....

Make sure it's not just your headlight staying on after you ride it.