Gearing for vintage trials ride

Niro

Niro, if I read this thread right, you seem to be trying to ride very slow without using the clutch. Why? Virtually everyone slips the clutch in sections in order to keep speed down and avoid stalling. Rather than fiddling with gearing, I would advocate you practice slipping the clutch.

3 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Niro, if I read this thread right, you seem to be trying to ride very slow without using the clutch. Why? Virtually everyone slips the clutch in sections in order to keep speed down and avoid stalling. Rather than fiddling with gearing, I would advocate you practice slipping the clutch.

Several reasons why- I'm a novice trials rider with not much experience on dirt bike riding either. 

I joined a local group of vintage trials bike that rides sections in the woods. I find that most of the sections are a challenge for me and also the riding between the sections can be a challenge, and I prefer to go slow. 

Also my bike has annoying issue of jumping into 2nd gear. I think that in this level I better drive a slower bike, gain confidence and hopefully points.. and learn to identify that the bike is on 2nd gear where it should be on 1st. 

This was also the advice I got from my instructor. 

Any how the process is reversible and I will go back again to faster gearing after gaining more practice.  

• Like 1

FWIW I started (at 38 years old, though with lots of trail and a little enduro experience) on a modern shape Gasgas 125 for about 18 months, and with that in sections it really was a case of stick it in 1st and leave it there for the beginner/twinshock routes.  This was super helpful for me - a light bike I could lift and pull out of mud easily, not enough power to get into trouble, modern suspension is more forgiving.

Because I was useless the local clubs didn't mind me riding the twinshock route slowly (I let the competitive types go first) and it helped me get to the point where I was happy on a twinshock ... still a terrible rider, but happy.

Just a thought ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, turbofurball said:

FWIW I started (at 38 years old, though with lots of trail and a little enduro experience) on a modern shape Gasgas 125 for about 18 months, and with that in sections it really was a case of stick it in 1st and leave it there for the beginner/twinshock routes.  This was super helpful for me - a light bike I could lift and pull out of mud easily, not enough power to get into trouble, modern suspension is more forgiving.

Because I was useless the local clubs didn't mind me riding the twinshock route slowly (I let the competitive types go first) and it helped me get to the point where I was happy on a twinshock ... still a terrible rider, but happy.

Just a thought ;)

Thanks for sharing! validate my thoughts that it's not easy to start riding vintage trials. I'm 44 with not much experience. Also as you mention, I find that one of the main difficulties is to lift the heavy Montesa out of any trouble I entered.. 

• Like 1

Yeah, a "modern" (ie. 2000 or newer) bike feels more like an extra heavy mountain bike, whereas a twinshock it like a lightweight motorbike.  They're not as pretty, but make for an excellent learning tool (and the 2000 - 2010 ones can usually be sold for what you bought them for, as long as they've been maintained)