Neutral Noisy - 280 Pro

magicmat

Question, :)

First modern trials bike 05 280 txt pro , and i noticed that when i put the bike in neutral while it was running, which was difficult to find most of the time ?? (usual thing !?)

The gearbox seemed to make a noise, if i pulled the clutch in it went away, no change if i leant the bike either way.

I only noticed it halfway through first day of riding it, Is this normal ? i know some road bikes have noisy clutchs (honda hornet 600)

But im alittle concerned.

Killed the bike, found neutral again ,and it stopped, tried it later and made no difference :hyper:

cheers Mat

Edited by Magicmat

the final page is alittle confusing,

"higher than specified...then shim"

do they not mean that if your clutch is smaller than specified then shim with a new plate ?

Im abit lost r2w, sorry :)

---also rising sun, say not to use synthetic, GB/trans oil, but the 05 manual says TO use synthetic GRO oil ??

---Conflict of opinion there??

Edited by Magicmat

the final page is alittle confusing,

"higher than specified...then shim"

do they not mean that if your clutch is smaller than specified then shim with a new plate ?

Im abit lost r2w, sorry  :)

---also rising sun, say not to use synthetic, GB/trans oil, but the 05 manual says TO use synthetic GRO oil ??

---Conflict of opinion there??

With regard to the "shimming" it has to do with the clutch pack thickness and the nature of the pressure plate style clutch. If you clutch is engaging where you want it, don't worry about it. The noise is totally normal and as r2 said, has to do with the finger actuators for the pressure plate clutch system. It's just the way they work, nothing to be concerned with in the least.

There are some conflicts with the manuals from time to time. I think the recommendations of the GRP oil is down to a sponsorship arrangement with the factory and their race teams. The bikes come from the factory with ATF (red oil)...and it's best to stick with this. Stick with the non-synthetic ATF and change it frequently. Buy it in 4L tubs and use it up. Clean oil is ALWAYS better than dirty oil, no matter how expensive the dirty oil is. I change my oil in my Pro no less than every second ride as an example.

Magicmat, Both of my bikes did this. I found on the 03 that the clutch piston was not resting against the clutch release arms(springy fingers) so they were rattling around when the clutch was disengaged. I cured it by bleeding the clutch again. The 05 did this too and I found out the cltch bearing plate (pushes the springs)was the wrong way round and the collar was against the roller bearing instead of the flat.