New member in the South of England

lemonade-we-make

Hi All!

I'm very glad to have found this forum :) I've tried my hand at a "fun" trial with Mortimer Classic MCC 2 weeks ago, on a KTM 300 EXC, and despite being on the wrong machinery I have never enjoyed myself on a motorcycle so much! 😄   So much so, that I ended up selling one of my other bikes to find the funds for a Gas Gas TXT 250.

I'm now in the process of finding more opportunities to ride the GG, so that I can get out of the house and have some fun on the weekends. I'm based between Reading and Basingstoke. Any recommendations for clubs that allow practice trials in the South of England?

Many thanks!

Michel

Welcome Michael! Plenty of good clubs to join, if you're after practice venues then you could join HUX who have a venue that they use every 2nd and fourth sunday of the month, just turn up and enjoy yourself, it's based in Denham which isn't too far from you. There's also Berkhamstead (just look up Berko trials) who also have their own venue, once you've joined you get a code for the gate and you can literally access the venue 7 days a week as far as I know and ride whenever you like (although best not to practice on your own). There's also Hook Woods who have a great venue near Guildford which you can pay to practice. Good luck with the Gas Gas, it's fair to say you'll find it significantly easier to ride than a KTM enduro bike! 😆

Hello and welcome, Mortimer fun trials are just the best and one of the few things I miss about the UK ... there's a few local clubs, I used to just be a member of all of them (about 20 quid a year each 5 years back) and went to all the competitions I could - they're all beginner friendly, first time you might want to ask if anyone's willing to show you the ropes.  At some competitions you can just pootle around and practice at your own pace away from the sections in use, ask the organizers about that.  Check the ACU page for a list or just do a bit of googling for up-to-date info.  Unfortunately Zona 1 has been paved over, that was about an hour from Newbury and used to be an excellent practice space.

@rich500 @turbofurball thank you so much for your replies! 🤝☺️

I'm very grateful for the suggestions, and I'm going to have a look to see if I can join Berko Trials and also look into Hook Woods, which isn't too far from me. I've already applied for membership at Mortimer MCC and I am applying for HUX as we speak. Hopefully that will give me a nice even mix of venues and open times to chose from, so I can keep myself busy :D

• Like 2

Have a look at Waltham Chase website, most of there venues are under 1 hour from Basingstoke and they are running around 24 events next year.

Also local clubs like Aldermaston Nomads and Basingstoke run regular club events.

Nomads have a trial end of month at Mortimer, really for classic bikes but must be near you if you wanted to take a look.