Is motorex gear oil ok for montrsa 4RT

Watersidejmcc

I like the NILS Clutch Trial and ELF so maybe you can find some NILS?  Also Maxima also makes a light gear oil "Maxima 75w-90" that works well for some in their Montesa's so if you can't find GRO or NILS that might be an option as well.  good luck.

Edited by jonnyc21

at the risk of repeating myself lol

All season excavator hydraulic oil 👍 cheap because you buy it in huge quantities and need only half a litre for a motorcycle oil change, works great even in sub zero temperature riding, change it frequently and it's the right stuff.  Great for 2-stoke transmissions and Montesa Cota 4RT transmission which is separate from the engine oil.  

My 4RT is what I stud up for riding through the winter months, great bike for it 😎 

Edited by lemur

It's the same thing they use in farm tractors.  Key is to replace it as soon as you get water in it and you'll know that happened when the clutch starts making nasty noises then drains out with a milky colour, that's water.  I use Kubota branded oil right now.

Edited by lemur

Not saying that it will not work as I suspect it really would, however not knowing what kind of additives are in excavator hydraulic oil in comparison to official motorcycle transmission oil I admit I wouldn't go there first myself.  But I admit I am wondering how the viscosity values are in comparison to the ELF, NILS, and GRO. 

Even then I admit if the numbers are close it would be an interesting experiment and wouldn't be against giving it a go in my 07 4RT if I didn't have a lot of ELF left.  Will be a bit before I would even need to consider going there however. 

Edited by jonnyc21

Oil is oil when you get down to basics.All it has to do is lubricate. Just like the Elf oil they regard so highly is made for a dry clutch. It's like nobody ever reads the label. My boy buy's the Elf, and I put in Dex XI in all my trials bikes. And I am the one doing the work. 

Lemur sounds like my boss. What ever is on hand is what he uses. Not that it does not work. We have alot of hydraulic oil on hand, but its not going in my 301. This pic is for lemur. Tesla pulling our smallest excavator.20230621_110232.thumb.jpg.84c65a04dcba18cfd0bd2c673e0b9062.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

Not saying that it will not work as I suspect it really would, however not knowing what kind of additives are in excavator hydraulic oil in comparison to official motorcycle transmission oil I admit I wouldn't go there first myself.  But I admit I am wondering how the viscosity values are in comparison to the ELF, NILS, and GRO. 

Even then I admit if the numbers are close it would be an interesting experiment and wouldn't be against giving it a go in my 07 4RT if I didn't have a lot of ELF left.  Will be a bit before I would even need to consider going there however. 

The whole point is you don't need or want additives. An excavator is something that can pick up a Tesla and throw it about 30 feet, if you tried to run special motorcycle transmission oil in one you'd go broke real fast and I guarantee it wouldn't run any better.  There is enough pressure on the oil to boil water, nothing comes close to thst duty inside a motorcycle engine.  I've run it in trials competition for decades with zero clutch issues, 2-stroke or 4RT.  

bertha.thumb.jpeg.37d325db801b8269df5796bbf9601bf8.jpeg

? "Elf oil they regard so highly is made for a dry clutch"   where are you going to put the oil in a dry clutch lol that's not going to work so good.

• Like 1