2023 Gas Gas TXT 300

Butch

I just bought a new TXT 300 and I've read the manual several times but a few things are unclear to me. Is the magnetic kill switch the only way to shut the engine off on this bike? I can't find anything about it in the manual. So you have to pull the magnetic lanyard to shut bike off? Will that wear the magnet out? Other bikes I have owned and even snowmobiles have the lanyard for safety and still have a kill button. Second question. My book suggests 67:1 oil mix ratio. I bought motorex Cross power t2 and that leads me to my final question. What kind of gas should I use? The manual suggests super unleaded 98 octane? Best I can find is 93 at the pump. Should I use race fuel? And to confuse me even more the dealership told me never use ethanol blended gas. I do have non ethanol gas near me but it's only 90 octane. Please help. I'm recovering from throat cancer surgery and can't wait to get out on this bike 😊 I want to use the right fuel in it. I'm only going to be riding around slow doing small obstacles and a lot of tight trails. thanks in advance 

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Is the magnetic kill switch the only way to shut the engine off on this bike?

Yes. Some people like the lanyard, some swap this out for a conventional kill switch.

1 hour ago, Butch said:

My book suggests 67:1 oil mix ratio.

In my opinion thats a good starting point, especially for a brand new bike.

1 hour ago, Butch said:

What kind of gas should I use? The manual suggests super unleaded 98 octane? Best I can find is 93 at the pump. Should I use race fuel? And to confuse me even more the dealership told me never use ethanol blended gas. I do have non ethanol gas near me but it's only 90 octane. Please help. I'm recovering from throat cancer surgery and can't wait to get out on this bike 😊

Cant comment on the fuel as ive never run the low octane fuel in america (where i assume you are). Others will comment. The older tanks seemed to swell a bit with the ethanol but the new tanks dont seem to swell as much. I run 97, 5% ethanol, while others run 10% with (i think) no real problems

Edited by faussy
  • Thanks 1

I would run the 90 octane non ethanol in a heartbeat. European fuel (as stated in your manual) has different octane rating than American fuel. I believe 98 RON is close to 93 in the states. 90 non ethanol at 70 or 80:1 will be good. Maybe 70:1 better for trail riding.

• Thanks 1

The magnet is a very dumb device. It can fly off with a hard hit, a small branch, bush, or just waving at your friends wife.

I tossed mine right away and run a real teather and a kill switch. The NATC has changed the rule from being a wrist strap device. I prefer it attached at the waist. No accidental fives and I am hands free.

My bikes on the left and I changed the strap out to a short red one. I cand buy the lanyards online 2 for 10 dollars.

20211223_120934.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies you guys 😊. I'm going to just stick with the 90 octane ethanol free gas. I thought the nearest station was 15 miles away and a guy told me about puregas.com website. Well imagine that!! I have ethanol free gas right here in my own town and never knew that. Now I won't have to listen to the lawn mower surging up and down like a diesel truck with a bad injection pump. And I'm still looking for a kill switch on the TXT 300? I know I'm not going to find one I just can't believe that you pull the magnet to shut her down? I'm not a magnet expert but won't the magnet wear out eventually? 

16 hours ago, lineaway said:

The magnet is a very dumb device. It can fly off with a hard hit, a small branch, bush, or just waving at your friends wife.

I tossed mine right away and run a real teather and a kill switch. The NATC has changed the rule from being a wrist strap device. I prefer it attached at the waist. No accidental fives and I am hands free.

My bikes on the left and I changed the strap out to a short red one. I cand buy the lanyards online 2 for 10 dollars.

20211223_120934.jpg

Weve just had the wettest july in recorded history. Your grass looks like it could do with some rain😁

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have just the opposite. I think we had the 3rd hottest July, and our event tommorrow got canceled one week ago due to fire danger. Phoenix just finnished 31 days over 110 degrees. We are used to cold nights, usually low 50's rhis time of year. Lately it has been above 70 at 5 a.m 

Okay guys so the only way to shut this bike down is to pull the magnet. I didn't know anything about magnets other than they attract each other 😆 and I'm not going to wear this magnet out pulling it off and putting it back on to start it right? I've owned 8 different bikes since 1973 and they all had a button. The Enduro Yamahas had a key if I remember correctly. You guys can send some of your rain here to Western Pennsylvania it's pretty dry here 

I'm not a fan of the lanyard, but they are compulsory for competition here. A few of my mates have wired a kill switch as well as the lanyard, not hard to do. The magnets don't wear out and are trouble free and as I don't like the strap around my wrist I attach the cord to my glove and I don't use the cord when practicing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You wont wear the magnet out. Its basically a switch with the throw magnetized. When the magnet is attached it attracts the throw away from the ground. No more moving parts than a conventional switch. 99% of the time the lanyward is a pain, its that 1% of the time it comes in handy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Butch said:

Okay guys so the only way to shut this bike down is to pull the magnet. I didn't know anything about magnets other than they attract each other 😆 and I'm not going to wear this magnet out pulling it off and putting it back on to start it right? I've owned 8 different bikes since 1973 and they all had a button. The Enduro Yamahas had a key if I remember correctly. You guys can send some of your rain here to Western Pennsylvania it's pretty dry here 

You can always stall it to a stop as well... 

Share some rain here as well, we have been short on rain for years.

Butch, like the square body in the background!

• Thanks 1

Thanks! That's my 83 back there. She's been with me a long time. 350 4 speed granny low. So much fun to drive. Mechanically she's very much completely restored. Body and paint is so so. She needs a little work on the bed sides and new paint 

1 hour ago, Butch said:

Thanks! That's my 83 back there. She's been with me a long time. 350 4 speed granny low. So much fun to drive. Mechanically she's very much completely restored. Body and paint is so so. She needs a little work on the bed sides and new paint 

FWIW, I find they are more fun to drive when the body isn't immaculate...

• Like 1