Repsol 301RR hot start issues + Avgas discussion

leosantanalg

Fouled a plug in every ride last three rides and 3 plugs today! 

Bike starts well after new plug and runs great. I can rev through the whole range without hesitation and does not lack power! When I shut the bike off, it wont start very easy. Like 3 to 4 kicks and then it might start or just foul again. 

Running the stock plug cr6eh9

Notes:

Plug is always extremely dry with black sutt 

adjusted valves recently but it did not resolve issue. 

Found considerable amount of engine oil today in the air box. Supposedly normal? 

Before this all started, I was riding one day and when I tried shut off, bike kept running even though the lanyard was disconected. It died after 10 seconds or so.

With my very small knoledge in 4 stroke engines, I m assuming is running rich or struggling for air! Also someone said it could be a poor ignition. 

I m going to use a higher octane gas as the bike calls for 95+  I was running 91 non ethanol. Might try 100ll (avgas with a hoter plug) 

Any advices or pointers??? What else could I check and how? Also note. I do let bike ticker till fan kicks in every cold start. That should not be my problem. 

Thanks in advance. 

I have a Ryan Young's class to attend on 8/26 and really want to get to the bottom of this issue asap. 

Cheers

Edited by leosantanalg
post took different direction

"Before this all started, I was riding one day and when I tried shut off, bike kept running even though the lanyard was disconected. It died after 10 seconds or so."

Would not be the first time the lanyard caused all the problems.

Yes, the air box normally accumulates a small amount of clean engine oil.

Fuel injection sorts itself out when you leave it idle until the fan kicks on.

I'd be tempted to set the valve clearances again, you might not have got them right, have a micrometer handy to check your feeler gauges and to get a feel for the correct clearance.  There is a little tiny decompressor on the exhaust valve side and it needs to be spot on to work and that is the source of hard starting.

I've run higher octane and it does perform better, but they normally run faithful as a Honda on regular octane fuel.

My first 4RT was hard on plugs, every one after that has been good on plugs, I never did find the problem with that first one, I sold it soon after I dropped it in the lake.

Edited by lemur
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Have you installed a tach on your bike? That is the easiest way to keep it running right. I keep my 301 running between 1950 and 2150 idle after warm up. You also have to reset the ecu first.

14 hours ago, kurtas said:

What speed is your idle set at?

Ensure you have not put too much oil onto the air filter.

my idle is between 1800 and 1900   when cold started, it will start around 1600 and pick up after 

I do have a tach meter on the bike but I was told between 1800 and 1900 idle should I go higher?

I do reset ECU often 

5 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

my idle is between 1800 and 1900   when cold started, it will start around 1600 and pick up after 

I do have a tach meter on the bike but I was told between 1800 and 1900 idle should I go higher?

I do reset ECU often 

1850 when starting. Always let it think  about it before you take off even when warm. I always wait for the idle to hit iver 2 k before I ride off.

2 hours ago, lineaway said:

1850 when starting. Always let it think  about it before you take off even when warm. I always wait for the idle to hit iver 2 k before I 

Checked valve adjustment again! Spot on w specs. Started the bike and idle was around 1600 really struggling almost stalling. I adjusted the idle to 1900 and ran great did a few laps on parking lot went up and down the road then when I shut off, wouldnt start again. Tried to reset ecu, swapped plug and nothing. Just gave up for the day.  Starting to think I have some electrical issues (weak ignition) or throtle body issues? Who knows! 

I m adjusting the idle on throtle body screw.  Did not touch the adjustment on throtle cabe.  My throtle cable is at zero.  There is a lil slack on the tube. (I guess thta's where suppose to be right?) 

The nearest Honda dealer is 1:30 hours away. Hoping someone can carry me through the next step of trouble shooting! Or make me a nice offer on the bike. Lol.  Thanks again guys 

14 hours ago, lemur said:

"Before this all started, I was riding one day and when I tried shut off, bike kept running even though the lanyard was disconected. It died after 10 seconds or so."

I'd be tempted to set the valve clearances again, you might not have got them right, have a micrometer handy to check your feeler gauges and to get a feel for the correct clearance.  There is a little tiny decompressor on the exhaust valve side and it needs to be spot on to work and that is the source of hard starting.

I've run higher octane and it does perform better, but they normally run faithful as a Honda on regular octane fuel.

My first 4RT was hard on plugs, every one after that has been good on plugs, I never did find the problem with that first one, I sold it soon after I dropped it in the lake.

14 hours ago, lemur said:

5 hours ago, lsv said:

Do not use neat 100LL AVGAS, you will have problems...........................

How so?? 

The little decompressor you talking about has an adjustment or runs off the exhaust valve adjustment? 

The manual calls for 0.012 to 0.001 for the exhaust valve.  I was at 0.011 and went down to 0.005 just to be more in the middle of the range.   Samething with intake valve 0.005 to 0.001. I m at 0.003. 

Any idea how to check or eliminate the kill switch? Other than continuity at first connection. That seems normal 

Thank you.  

• leosantanalg changed the title to Repsol 301RR hot start issues + Avgas discussion