2023 Gas Gas TXT 300

Butch

48 minutes ago, lineaway said:

Captain  b. You guys have managed to get this 23 Gasser thread to 6 pages. All the while not fixing the bike or anyhing to do with actually riding one. If we had a moderator it should be moved to the USA thread. God knows that thread needs some help. Or post it under the 4 newbies. I think you all might be drinking the kool aid yourselfs. A lot of BS about nothing.

Any how Butch, it will be great to hear if you ever get that thing running or not. You might even get to ride it someday. Or you could use that bike stand to show it off in your nan cave. LOL

You are a Dick!  You do not know what you are talking about.  You have yourself pretty high on that pedestal. Just another armchair warrior.  Go away, we do not need your crap.

• Haha 1

Rolled the bike out and successfully started it cold with two reasonable kicks.  Rode a few backyard laps stopping without putting a foot down, and just generally getting used to the bike.  I shut it down 3-4:times to practice the roll- back and kick method.  Took only 1 kick each time.  Im getting so I can start it without putting much body weight into the kick.  I'm thinking Butch should be able to do it even with the weight loss and leg issue.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lineaway said:

I have been here for 20 years, usually helping people. I called his bike that has never ran a pile. You decided I have a drinking problem. Who is the dick from the east coast? Typical.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  If the shoe fits.....  HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

7 minutes ago, Scottro said:

Rolled the bike out and successfully started it cold with two reasonable kicks.  Rode a few backyard laps stopping without putting a foot down, and just generally getting used to the bike.  I shut it down 3-4:times to practice the roll- back and kick method.  Took only 1 kick each time.  Im getting so I can start it without putting much body weight into the kick.  I'm thinking Butch should be able to do it even with the weight loss and leg issue.  

It is a great technique.  It really doesn't require much force on the kicker to get this beast running.  I am sure Butch will nail this.

• Like 1

You do not have to roll it back. What are you going to do when you are stuck in an awkward spot. Which happens all the time in trials. You just slowly kick it through till you can get the kicker just before top dead center. That is the lever is up as high as it can be to get a better through kick. You also have to get the lever to engage first. The kick starter gear is called the bart gear as it is only a half moon verses a full 360 degree gear as most bikes have. Like Bart Simpsons hair cut. That is one of the weak spots on the gasser as the gear chips off quite easily. The other weak point is the shift drum. That is why the shift lever is designed to bend easily.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 2

Yes, but I'm not riding trials.  And it's not like I'm rolling it back very far. More like rocking it back.  But I'm sure with more experience with the bike, I'll get more adept at kicking it over and positioning the lever so that I can start it in sticky situations. For me, it currently seems to start better from bottom dead center.  And I don't have to worry about breaking anything in the kick start mechanism.  

• Like 1

Yeah all you new guys have no clue about the reputation of this motor. And I can`t believe KTM is still selling it. The transmission broke so much they changed the cases so you could fix it without splitting the cases. I made alot of money working on these motors. On the flip side, the motor is awesome when working! LOL I think the last Full transmission I replaced was on a bike that was almost 7 months old. So out of warranty.

• Like 1

Thanks guys I'm going to try everything people are telling me. Lineaway are you serious about not having to split cases to do that repair? I've read a lot about that bart gear breaking for people. Something is supposed to be different for 2023 but I don't know what they did? Are you really serious about doing those kinds of repairs without splitting  cases? Man, I split cases on other bikes not fun! Especially like the time it was an xr honda and the cluster fell out before I ever got a chance to do anything. I had to go to Honda and get an exploded view printout. Not fun. I'm going to try the pull it back in gear method. Lineaway I'm just a little weak right now from the cancer and weight loss and all that crap but this isn't going to take away from me things I love. I'm working out a lot to regain strength. I enjoy chatting with friends on here. It's just great to hear everyones advice. I can't speak anymore so the keyboard and all you guys and a very understanding wife and daughter are all I have left now.all I have now. It makes me happy to communicate with you guys and I learn so much. Like the bart gear lol. Okay! I heard of that but I didn't believe that's really what it's called lol

• Like 1

Butch is definitely going to nail this yet! I never experienced anything like this with any other bike lol. But I'm going to get it. Then you guys can throw a big party for me lol. Lineaway can hide in the cake👍

• Confused 1

Yeah, they made the right center case so you could slide the transmission out without splitting the cases. Since KTM has most of the parts made in China now, we really have not seen many problems or many real trials riders buying Gassers. Gas Gas used to be the best selling trials bike in the USA. Beta is still the best selling world wide. Since I am old and slow ( I did win my class Saturday, but quit Sunday after a clean loop. C Bob was right, I needed a cold beer!) I ride the Montesa 301, but a very trick one.

• Thanks 1

I think we're all old guys lol. You still do competition? That's pretty damn cool! That's a serious relief to know the you can slide the transfer out of there. Case splitting is a pretty big deal. Well it was for me anyway. That's mighty nice of them to spare us that fun. I had no idea you could slide that out of there. Where can you buy service manuals for these bikes? I have the print version owners manual but the only service manual I can find is a download. I'd prefer print. Do you know of a source to give those? That's cool that you compete. Williamsport PA is the only club I know of and that's hours from me. I wouldn't just like to go watch those guys 

I meant transmission. This thing has it's own crazy mind. By the way I had an 02 montesa. Loved that bike! It was a 250. When I sold it, 2 brothers from Gillette Wyoming met me in Nebraska and bought it in a rest area on I 80. 2:00 am. Probably looked like a shady deal happening lol