Newbie looking for a first bike

MrGman

Hi Folks

I've always fancied getting into trials but never really got round to buying a bike, I currently ride road bikes and enduro, I particularly enjoy hard enduro side of the sport. 

I've been keeping an eye out for a while now and i've spotted a 2020 Sherco ST250, from reading on the forum I'm definitely looking for a 250 or under, but are Sherco's newbie friendly, I'm guessing all the brands are going to be much of a muchness for a beginner? 

Anything specific to lookout for on this model? 

I'm happy to look at other brands if something is better suited, I only refined my search to sherco as i like the colour scheme :) 

TIA 

If you ride hard enduro, you won't have a problem riding any modern trials bike over the same or more difficult terrain, true hard enduro is a mix of junior to intermediate level trials terrain.   I regularly host both observed trials events and hard enduro races.

One thing I do see is that enduro riders that ride their trials bike like an enduro bike don't learn much about trials riding, you need to actually ride trials style to learn trials technique. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MrGman said:

Another question I have that doesn't require a thread of its own, are there many pay and play days throughout the winter months in general? 

We ride 11 months of the year here with the aid of studded tires, weekdays and weekends nobody pays to ride with me and I have ~400 acres of world class riding area, all guests sign a waiver.  YMMV depends on where you live.  Are there many other places like my place, no absolutely not, that's why I do it.   Starts with having the land and suitable terrain, winter riding is weather dependent on the gods and requires a heated garage to launch from.  

• Like 2

Here in the South West of England, we don't ride Christmas Day or Remembrance Sunday.  Other than these two "sacred" days, there will be multiple trials meetings held on any weekend, or Bank Holiday, usually within a 50 mile radius of my home  There are even a few trials meetings held mid-week in the summer months!  We are blessed!

• Like 3