GasGas ID

iank

From what I've observed over the years, not all trials bike manufacturers follow the convention of encoding the model year in the 10th character of the VIN.

If I'm not mistaken, 2002 was the first year for the Pro model.  40mm forks started about 2005.

Edited by konrad

Hard to tell, they came with black frames from 07. But someone could have painted it black. It has the later radiator shroud, it has a black airbox, later triple clamps, so my guess would be no, not 02. The year is the 5th number from the end. The 02 in the vin number is the year of homologation, when this model came out

Edited by faussy

Thanks guys. They guy who owned it previously thought it was a 2004 but did state he didn't know for sure. After a bit of digging the later bikes had black frames and 40mm forks as stated above but the number would say otherwise. Ive attached a picture of the frame number. It doesn't look like its been painted. the forks could have been swapped I guess maybe? The forks are definitely 40mm as ive just measured them with a pair of callipers to order some new seals.

Road racing is more my field but thought I have a go at trials riding through the winter.......its all a bit new to me!!

IMG_7113.jpeg

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iank said:

Hi everyone, would someone be able to shed some light on this bike as to what model etc its is? The frame number indicates 2002 txt 280 would this be correct or look correct?

IMG_7116.jpeg

I had a 2007 it should have a H in the frame number if it is a 2007. 2002 frames differ from 2007 ones  in that they have a welded mounting lugg with one hole in it that is absent on a 2007  this is located on the left hand rear frame top tube that sits next  to the top shock mount support , the lugg is for the rear brake master cylinder reservoir plastic bowl and on an 02 the reservoir bowl is positioned at 45 degrees within the airbox cowling and can be seen through the triangular cut out on the left side of the airbox , 2007 reservoir sits on a  thin metal tang clipped on to the anti vibration rigidity strut  that is bolted to the rear cylinder studs.   2007 bikes had a more rigid thin gauge alloy fuel tank  with a slightly higher profile that was anodised in a sort of dark brown metallic  colour,  earlier bikes had a soft aluminium thicker gauge alloy that was bright natural aluminium in finish like the one in your picture ,  another 2007 thing was the cylinder and head being painted in a dark grey gunmetal colour while earlier bikes are silver coloured.2002 motor has thin magnesium  engine cases that by now will look a little corroded  in some areas ,  2007 has 1kg heavier aluminium cases and should still look outwardly quite good

• Like 1

So Ive had another good look this afternoon and the frame does have the lug for the rear brake MC but the MC is actually mounted on the plate behind the engine. The left hand engine casing actually feels plastic, its definitely not aluminium. The right hand casing does indeed look bit corroded but possibly from a clutch line leak. The clutch MC has a green top so that should be mineral oil? To be fair the whole clutch MC leaks anyway so I am going strip that and rebuild with new seals. Just trying to figure out what I have so if I need parts I can order the correct ones. Looks to be bit of a mix which is fine as long I can figure out what is what. Ideally i'd like to know what the engine is, pro/edition incase I need to replace any internals. Also it normal to run the rear brake lines between the rear shock and swingarm on a trials bike? Ohlins rear shock too which I guess wasn't standard?

IMG_7120.jpeg

IMG_7121.jpeg

IMG_7122.jpeg

IMG_7123.jpeg

IMG_7124.jpeg

6 hours ago, iank said:

So Ive had another good look this afternoon and the frame does have the lug for the rear brake MC but the MC is actually mounted on the plate behind the engine. The left hand engine casing actually feels plastic, its definitely not aluminium. The right hand casing does indeed look bit corroded but possibly from a clutch line leak. The clutch MC has a green top so that should be mineral oil? To be fair the whole clutch MC leaks anyway so I am going strip that and rebuild with new seals. Just trying to figure out what I have so if I need parts I can order the correct ones. Looks to be bit of a mix which is fine as long I can figure out what is what. Ideally i'd like to know what the engine is, pro/edition incase I need to replace any internals. Also it normal to run the rear brake lines between the rear shock and swingarm on a trials bike? Ohlins rear shock too which I guess wasn't standard?

IMG_7120.jpeg

IMG_7121.jpeg

IMG_7122.jpeg

IMG_7123.jpeg

IMG_7124.jpeg

That is a mix of bikes , the complete motor going by the paint colour and finish  is perhaps 2004 2005 or 2006 PRO MODEL and is in good outward condition for that age ,  the EDITION motor is a completely different engine pre PRO 2002 era that has its roots with several trials motorcycle  manufacturers including JCM in the late 1980s  ,  forks are aluminium stanchioned 40mm Marzzochi cartridge type  more than likely 2007 . The frame is a painted earlier frame if it has that lug  perhaps the sticker with the vin belongs to it , the way to check is to look on the other side of the steerer tube and the actual vin of that frame  should be physically stamped into  the metal. The OHLINS shock is not standard but was available on the Raga editions of the pro and is easily rebuildable so that is a good thing , original OEM shock is usually a SACHS ZF  , the fuel tank is 2002 to 2006 with later plastic lighter fuel cap but. that tank would probably have had the earlier heavier aluminium fuel cap originally . Rear mud guard in red of that shape pobably  2003 to 2006 Exhaust looks like a 2007 on as the middle box and silencer are welded one piece which is a good thing better than the earlier 2 piece gunk drippers  That is  basically it  as wheels brakes etc are the same on all the pros around that era. You can find most of the information you need about GasGas Pros at www.thehellteam.com under GasGas INFO. manuals etc .

Also it is normal for the rear brake hose and EPDM brake fluid refill tube to run so close to the rear shock . 

Another thing if you have not  got one , It is not in the pics You need the neoprene rubber sheet that sits near the top shock mount and goes under the rear of the fuel tank this is important as it keeps muck and water from being thrown into the air box inlet slot .

Edited by Tr1AL

The Exhaust looks like the earlier type where the silencer would be bolted onto the mid section. Previous owner has welded over the bolt holes and welded the two sections together. Making it more robust.

You definitely have a Pro motor and it has a 280cc barrel on it.

The fuel tanks on the 07's were black so you may have an earlier one.

I am still puzzled why the frame is black underneath the VIN sticker, that says the bike was built in 2003 Feb. Maybe a newer frame with the old sticker transferred on to it. See if the numbers match up!

I wouldn't worry about anything as it looks fine, If you're new to trials then I hope you enjoy it and don't throw it at too many rocks!🤣

I've got a 04 model but the VIN has an "E" in it which was the first letter they started using.

I checked the frame again last night and couldn’t see a number stamped on the steerer tube. I did wonder if it’s been powder coated and it’s been covered up. It’s definitely not paint. Everything seems to be in decent order and it runs fine. I will try and source the neoprene cover to stop crap going in the air box. Just gotta stick some new fork seals and fresh oil in as they are leaking and a new piston kit in the clutch MC as that leaks too. After that I am good to go. Never done any trials or trials riding before, I am looking forward to it! Does anyone know of any practice days around norfolk, Suffolk or cambridge?  

Massive thanks for everyone’s help I am sure I’ll have more questions 😂

Check the fork slide bushings too, worn slide bushings cause fork oil seals to fail.  The seals just hold the oil in but the slide bushings are what make the stanchion tubes track in the centre of the lower fork leg.  Also very high probability that your wheel bearings are done, wheel bearings don't last long and movement from wear in the wheel bearing will mess with your brakes and suspension badly.

On 10/17/2023 at 12:46 PM, iank said:

Thanks Tr1AL that’s a massive amount of info. I’ll check the frame and see if it’s stamped on the head stock. 

The frame number may be lying underneath the sticker try there if you want to investigate further , I think you are correct about the frame having been powder coated that is why it seems authentic 2007. Try scraping a bit of the coating off in an area that will not be seen easily and it should still be chrome I don't think they would have bothered stripping it back to steel before coating it although of course anything is possible.

If you are thinking of putting a seal kit in your clutch master cylinder then have a very good inspection of the inside of the bore where the piston travels.  Thoroughly wipe and clean it out first with a cotton bud sprayed with a little brake cleaner and if there is any scuffing, scrapes or scratches scratches then consider  gambling  on a second hand one or buying a new complete unit as the repair kit works out at around £30 inc p&p and if the bore is worn it may not be long before it starts leaking again as unlike a seal on the brake the clutch seal travel is almost half the length of the bore and is in use constantly while riding using modern techniques. I hope you enjoy riding your bike when you get going , if you struggle at first stick with it as when the break throughs come its a lot of fun. 

Edited by Tr1AL