Trials modern tires

Hooser1956

Afternoon, I’m new to trials, not to vintage racing or trail ridding.  I’m in the middle of replacing all four of my trials bike tires.  I’m not “ stuck” on any one brand name.  So I just ordered a set of really soft Michelins for my Ty175.  Was riding a new Beta trials around the lot and couldn’t help but notice at just how sticky the tires were on the Beta trials bike.  So I ordered a set. Michelins 

I’ve got new but older Dunlops, been on my shelf for a couple of years.  Those are on a stock TL 125,  seem fine but not as sticky as the new Michelin trials tires.

im in need of new trials tires for a new to me, Honda TLR200.   Keeping my options open, any suggestions on tires, but would like examples of why you would recommend a specific tire.  I’ll be starting on the 2 line,  “. Lol, and I may end my short lived Trials career on the 2 line. Truthfully I would like to advance my trials skills, winning isn’t important anymore, it’s the fellowship, the friendships which are import to me.  

sorry,  back to trials tires.  thank you all in advance.

dirk

I don't know what tyres are available to you but if you can get a rear tube type IRC trials tyre it will be great on your TLR for trials. None of the other brands make tube type rear trials tyres. The Michelin rears are tubeless type and are more difficult to get to stay sitting on the bead seats on a tube type rim. The IRC is an amazingly grippy tyre like the Michelin. It is more sensitive to tyre pressure being too low than the Michelin as in the rear of the bike moves around if the pressure is too low.

Where I live I can't get IRC rears for my twinshocks so I buy Michelin rears and trim the beads so they fit properly on my tube type rims.

• Like 1

Feet up fun, thank you for the response.  I did not know the Michelins were tubeless,  seems to me that’s going to present a problem, this Michelin set of tires is for a TY 175.  

don’t know if I mentioned that my two TLs a 125 and a 150 both have Dunlops the 150 is a Mick Andrews School Boy framed Tall Boy? Frame swing arm and triple clamp on it. Haven’t ridden it yet it’s at Pete Fisher “ Power Roll” ex owners house his son Scotty’s doing the 150 upper install. 

shhesh I did it again,  my mind wonders while I’m writing stuff.  Think it’s from being a retired cop.  I’m so used to writing everything in a descriptive manner like a dam criminal report. 

feetupfun if I may where are you located at?  I’m in USA Oregon.  Finding it fun to meet folks from other lands.

dirk

2 hours ago, Hooser1956 said:

Feet up fun, thank you for the response.  I did not know the Michelins were tubeless,  seems to me that’s going to present a problem, this Michelin set of tires is for a TY 175.  

don’t know if I mentioned that my two TLs a 125 and a 150 both have Dunlops the 150 is a Mick Andrews School Boy framed Tall Boy? Frame swing arm and triple clamp on it. Haven’t ridden it yet it’s at Pete Fisher “ Power Roll” ex owners house his son Scotty’s doing the 150 upper install. 

shhesh I did it again,  my mind wonders while I’m writing stuff.  Think it’s from being a retired cop.  I’m so used to writing everything in a descriptive manner like a dam criminal report. 

feetupfun if I may where are you located at?  I’m in USA Oregon.  Finding it fun to meet folks from other lands.

dirk

Never heard of a Mick Andrews Tall boy do you mean a Sammy Miller Hi-Boy ?.   I only mentioned it because of the Sammy Miller Honda connection and them being  TL's.

Edited by Tr1AL

Dammit, I did it again.  Yes.  I don’t know why I keep saying Mick Andrews.  You’re correct it’s the Sammy Miller Tall boy.  Was built ground up,  everything was rebuilt, and I paired 1700.00 for it.  Same gentleman I purchased the TLR 200 from in Reno Nevada.  A true gentlemen

8 hours ago, Hooser1956 said:

dirk

Hi Dirk I'm in Gladstone, Queensland, Australia. We have an active old trials bike scene and have a great time.

David

Edited by feetupfun

Love the Michelin X Lite single ply tires before they became crazy expensive, when they were first introduced here they were cheaper then the 2 ply version, now they are near 300$ each with tax.  Lately I've been buying Dunlop 2 ply because they are nearly half the price of the X-lite and last a little longer, I run the Dunlop rear at very low pressure ~4psi and they perform good for my light weight.  Haven't found any tire yet that can withstand double digit minus temperatures without cracking or pealing off the knobs in winter but I imagine not everybody has that problem 😆  Back in the day Pirelli radial was the best tire for the TY bikes, but it made a difference what country of origin was stamped on the tire, made in Spain tires were great and the identical model tire stamped made in USA was terrible by comparison, and yes I too had to trim the rubber on the bead or they wouldn't seat on the tube type rim correctly.  When first introduced the Pirelli radial was available in either tube or tubeless type, then the tube type version became unavailable.  

Agree it is very cool to be able to compare notes with riders from the other side of the planet 👍 

Sorry I just drove up state to Corvallis Or, home of the OREGON Beaver Football Team.  My eldest grandson plays “ American Football”. I had to rewrite that after recalling most here are hard core Foot Ball “ Soccer”   Fans.  He also plays Soccer.  He’s a first year high school 9 th grade here.  

he’s terrible at football, but I love his enthusiasm for the sport, his team mates and the other team players, always giving em a hand up, praising them when they score on him.

I’ve gifted all the grand children motorcycles, next season each will get their own trials bike, so I can play trials with the kids.  Right now I’ve given them little CRF 50 and 70 Honda’s, and a couple XL 100s.

my youngest grandsons a terror on his fifty, refuses to shut the throttle off, already likes sliding in 4th, kids fearless jumps higher and further then the other kids.  Seems he’s a natural, bless with exceptional balance.  I’m looking for a Ty 80 for him.  In ahrma the kids can ride trials,  Wesley Poole’s already got little Eddie on a TY 80,  I’m guessing he’s 7/8 years old.  Fun to watch, I want to enter my guys and girls when they want to try.  

until then we just trail ride, I’ve got a newer 2022 Beta 300 cross trainer, I kinda enjoy riding.  I recently put a Reklus clutch in it.  Which is rather different for,a guy who lives and dies by the clutch, front brake.  lol get it figured out soon.  

have a great day

dirk