Throttle Cable Issues

Cota300rr

Plan on posting a photo to show what's going on when I have one, but for now wanted to get this post up. Have a 2017 300RR and when I purchased the throttle cable sheath was broken near the top where it meets the housing on the bars, and the angle of it was sharp as though it was bent. I replaced it, but now 1.5 years later this one is doing the same. I have looked at pictures of routing the cables and I'm not entirely sure mine is correct, but I have seen more than one routing where one goes behind the bars and beside the tank, and another picture of the routing in front of the bars. I just want to stop this happening again, so if anybody has heard of this issue or has an idea why it's happening I'd love to hear it. I'll get that photo ASAP. 

What photos are you using for reference?  Honda service manual are second to none.  I still have a PDF manual for a 2107 260.  It shows routing behind the bars.  Maybe the 300 is different.  It's worth investing in the manual. 

P.S. It's great to see women involved in this sport.  If it weren't for my wife, I probably would not be riding trials.

• Like 1

Both my 2007 4RT and my 2017 300 RR is behind the bars as well... good luck.

PS. On Page 34-35 or section 2-11 and 2-12 under service data of the manual linaway posted is the hose and cable routing information.  :)

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

Both my 2007 4RT and my 2017 300 RR is behind the bars as well... good luck.

PS. On Page 34-35 or section 2-11 and 2-12 under service data of the manual linaway posted is the hose and cable routing information.  :)

Thanks! I did look at it when installing so I cannot figure out why if routed correctly it has done this again. Failed to get a pic last night, will have to upload one tonight to show you all what is going on. I'm thinking now the housing is clocked incorrectly or something, not really sure. I'll be back with that pic!

• Like 1

Here are the pictures. When I bought this bike used it had this same issue so I replaced the cable and now it has happened again a year later. I tried my best to follow the routing as per the manual, too. Anybody seen anything like it? 

IMG_6402.jpg

IMG_6400.jpg

@Cota300rr it looks although it is not completely clear that your throttle cable is routed across the tank to the left hand side of the frame , if it is then this is the reason for the breakage in the outer throttle cable  as your throttle cable outer casing has no slack in it as it would have if is routed to the right hand frame side. 

2 minutes ago, Tr1AL said:

@Cota300rr it looks although it is not completely clear that your throttle cable is routed across the tank to the left hand side of the frame , if it is then this is the reason for the breakage in the outer throttle cable  as your throttle cable outer casing has no slack in it as it would have if is routed to the right hand frame side. 

Hmm, it's definitely routed on the right. It is attached with a cable separation clip to the clutch hydraulic line and both run along the right hand side of the tank. 

Sorry for the pictures not being clear, bike is tucked into a shed with six other bikes and kind of hard to get to at the moment! 

2 minutes ago, Cota300rr said:

Hmm, it's definitely routed on the right. It is attached with a cable separation clip to the clutch hydraulic line and both run along the right hand side of the tank. 

Sorry for the pictures not being clear, bike is tucked into a shed with six other bikes and kind of hard to get to at the moment! 

The breakage is caused by the outer cable not having enough slack in it from the point where it leaves  the tank/ frame gap to the throttle tube housing if you google images of a 300RR specifically you can see many images of the cable being such a length that the cable exits upward and forward of the throttle tube housing  more toward the front wheel   where as yours kinks on a backward exit of the throttle tube housing exit. Hope that is of some use to you resolving the problem , have a good evening.

1 hour ago, Tr1AL said:

The breakage is caused by the outer cable not having enough slack in it from the point where it leaves  the tank/ frame gap to the throttle tube housing if you google images of a 300RR specifically you can see many images of the cable being such a length that the cable exits upward and forward of the throttle tube housing  more toward the front wheel   where as yours kinks on a backward exit of the throttle tube housing exit. Hope that is of some use to you resolving the problem , have a good evening.

Yeah I guess I'll have to resolve it by looking at more pictures and figuring out why it's lacking that slack in it. Thanks for your input, much appreciated! 

I always wrapped that part with the spiral plastic that you use to bundle electric wires together, put it on before the cable is too badly kinked and it works great.  Search 'spiral wire wrap'

3 hours ago, lemur said:

I always wrapped that part with the spiral plastic that you use to bundle electric wires together, put it on before the cable is too badly kinked and it works great.  Search 'spiral wire wrap'

I do know the stuff. Are you saying this because you’ve also had this issue? 

10 hours ago, Cota300rr said:

I do know the stuff. Are you saying this because you’ve also had this issue? 

Yes to that, all the way back to 1970' twin shock bikes I had throttle cable kink issues that became a problem, but I never had to replace a throttle cable on any of my 4RT rides because I wrapped the cable as soon as I bought one.   I do the same thing with my TRS bikes now, although the TRS throttle cable has less tendency to kink the shield at the connections and only needs covering on one end of the cable slack adjuster.  

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, lemur said:

Yes to that, all the way back to 1970' twin shock bikes I had throttle cable kink issues that became a problem, but I never had to replace a throttle cable on any of my 4RT rides because I wrapped the cable as soon as I bought one.   I do the same thing with my TRS bikes now, although the TRS throttle cable has less tendency to kink the shield at the connections and only needs covering on one end of the cable slack adjuster.  

This is what I was looking for, thanks for sharing your experience. I am going to get a new cable on there and I'll be sure to wrap it up. Cheers!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/23/2024 at 10:29 PM, Cota300rr said:

This is what I was looking for, thanks for sharing your experience. I am going to get a new cable on there and I'll be sure to wrap it up. Cheers!!

I have the same issue as you on a brand new 2023 Cota 260 with about 7 hours on it. I noticed the outside mantle was broken after hour 5. The cable loops up steep from the throttle housing as if this cable is 10 centimeters too long. It is routed according to the manual but at my trials club most guys rerouted the cable via the front of handle bars instead of behind the handle bars. I'm going to reroute also.