Hi and advice please

Hi, at the age of 65 I am wanting to have a go at trials (only the begginer sections I expect) having a bit of a dodgy back I want the lightest bike that my tall frame will allow.  As it will be the easy sections I doubt that power will be an issue and have been looking at 125 cc but I was wondering if an adult could ride the beta senior big wheel 80 cc. I am guessing this would be very light ??

Best regards David 

I spent several hours riding a 2006 Beta 80 while attempting to improve it for an early-50s petite female.  I still have the notes.  On the plus side, the biked weighed 146.5 pounds with a half tank of fuel.  The wheelbase was only 49 inches - that's 3 inches shorter than a typical trials bike of that era.  Turning was extremely good.  It was super-easy to kickstart. 

On the minus side, the engine was a bored-out 65cc KTM as used in their kid's MX bike.  It used a very heavy flywheel and tiny carburetor to try and give it a trials feel.  But it still had an expansion chamber type exhaust system.  It ran like a detuned MX bike, not a trials bike.  I even reshaped the combustion chamber in an effort to improve it.

The gearbox ratios were also not well suited to trials.  I needed to ride it in 3rd gear to have any reasonable ground speed, but then it lacked rear-wheel torque.

It might be a suitable bike if you are very light and don't really have any other off-road experience/expectations.  I would suggest you try before buying and also try a 125.

A more modern Beta 80 may be completely different.

Edited by konrad

I think full size wheels that fit the modern competition tires is very important even for a beginner, tires make that much difference.

• Like 1

Not the same bike but I once had an early 90s Fantic 80 for one of my kids.  It had full size wheels and was a full size bike or almost full size.  It probably weighed as much as a current trials bike or a bit more.  Power was adequate for a 155 lb person to pop over moderate size logs.  It worked pretty well on the flat but any kind of a hill was an issue.  Even a very moderate size hill required max rpm in first gear just to get up.  Modern 80s probably have more power but when you test ride be sure to try some kind of hill.      

My memory of riding the big-wheel Beta 80 is that it was OK for me at 5'10" but I would think it might be a bit cramped for someone tall. The motor was easy to use in sections.

Modern 125 two-strokes are excellent.

The modern mecatechno (electric) trials bike is extremely light.

2 hours ago, feetupfun said:

My memory of riding the big-wheel Beta 80 is that it was OK for me at 5'10" but I would think it might be a bit cramped for someone tall. The motor was easy to use in sections.

Modern 125 two-strokes are excellent.

The modern mecatechno (electric) trials bike is extremely light.

I agree 100% with your post.  However to the OP I would say you are getting tied up in knots over just a few kilos.  A decent modern bike is about 68-70Kg and the Mechatechno is 60Kg and (I think) the lightest option of all.  Unless the bike falls on top of you you will not really notice much difference.  If you have a bad back it will be technique and skill that will have the biggest effect, not the weight of the bike.  Most people, for example, when they first start try to pull up the bars to lift the front wheel and that can stress the back muscles.  Once you learn to let the engine and clutch do the work it is no stress at all.

Try to get a ride on a good 250 and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  But yes a 125 is a good bike if you can pick up a good one.  Much easier to find a 250 that has had an easy life.  If you can afford it and buy new the Mechatechno (10 grand) is an amazing thing, my missus has an electric (EM) and they are really, really good.  If money were no object that (Mechatecno) would be my choice.

@woodsman If you have a bad back I would recommend using a wide  elastic neoprene Lumbar support belt like ones that are made by a company called Lonsdale or also Everlast make them  They fasten with a velcro strip and can be placed and tensioned to suit your preference to give the necessary comfort and support that you require. Every one has a preference of bike power , my personal opinion based on what you have said If you have the money then I would recommend a newer 200cc BETA or a 200/225cc VERTIGO , 125cc bikes have enough power for easy routes but need more rider input to get them through the sections and as you have a bad back it may not be the ideal bike for you , 200cc has more torque available low down so will make it easier to lift the front wheel using the throttle when required plus they do not stall as easily as a 125cc can . I have ridden both and over many years and 200 is definitely an easier ride . If your budget is low such as up to 2000.00 then you will probably find it easier to locate a 250cc bike and if that is the case then I would also join those that would recommend the 250cc bike. Have a great time and take it steady to build your confidence. Best wishes.

80cc will be under powered and hard work even if it will feel light and nimble because of the shorter wheel base ETC. 

Edited by Tr1AL
  • Like 1

Ask ten guys and you will get at least that many different answers.  😀

You may want to consider your first trials bike as just a learning exercise.  Only after gaining some experience will you understand what works for you.

If you are actually going to compete on the bike (as opposed to just riding it casually) then repeatedly starting a 250 may become quite taxing if you have physical limitations.

Wearing back support is a great idea.

Any trials bike can be made more comfortable by fitting bar risers.

Definitely agree re getting 200 or 250. 125 more than capable bike but does need more from rider to get it up over and through. Try to get a ride on a few different models to see which suits. Once its moving you wont really feel the weight difference but different suspension etc makes different bikes feel different. 

I tried a 250 sherco when first started and found it way to flighty, for me, beta much softer power delivery. You can always make sure you have a slow throttle on. The lightest feeling bike I've had which in my incapable hands just felt so easy to ride with icredible suspension steering and brakes is a vertigo 250 dl12. This model has the softer power map and flywheel weight. However be ready for lots of people saying they aren't reliable.

My brother in law started at 63, bought a 200 beta then few months later tried my vertigo and went straight out and bought one instead of the beta. He finds it much easier to learn on and has no issues with it being too powerful.