Fantic vs Bantam!

This might be an odd question to ask but there’s a reason…

I bought a Fantic 200 last year (been riding modern bikes for a while) and it’s a cracking bike to ride, and always puts a smile on my face. The only thing is that at my level it doesn’t really fit anywhere in the local trials I ride. I ride Sportsman and easier Clubman/middle routes on the modern bike. I also have friends who ride pre 65 bikes.

Where I’m coming from is that there isn’t really a class I can ride in competitively at my level as Twinshock class always seems to follow the Middle/Clubman route which is often beyond me on a modern bike let alone the Fantic whereas pre 65 always has an ‘easy’ (Sportsman route) and a ‘hard’ (Clubman/middle route). There is always a good few chaps riding pre 65 bikes on the easy route. If I want to ride the Fantic it has to be in Sportsman against modern bikes really as there is rarely an ‘easy Twinshock route’. I know score isn’t everything but it’s nice to try to compete in your class. I’m not a young bloke and I don’t bounce so well these days so Middle route on a Twinshock is not really for me…

So the question is, how would a well sorted Bantam compare to the Fantic? I guess the fact they are twin shocked and 2 stroke might be where any similarity ends but my thinking is that if I rode one of those at least there would be a specific class I’m capable of riding in to a reasonable standard. 

Can anyone advise on this?

I have a bantam and have ridden a borrowed fantic on occasion. 
The fantic brakes are better and the bantam doesn’t have a reed valve so won’t rev and provide as much power for longer hill climbs. Having said that I ride the bantam on modern trials at clubman level and it does manage very well. 
Perhaps the thing which your missing which is what I suffer from and no longer why I have a modern bike is that I can ride most things on the bantam and ride the BMCA british series which gives me best of both. I’ve never really taken to twin shock because the bantam will do it all and enter British events. Classic bikes are also on the up so a British pre 65 will always hold good money long term. 

Youll also find that pre 65 events have easy middle and hard routes that are generally easier. Just don’t forget a “competitive” pre 65 will cost a fair bit more. 

Rich 

26 minutes ago, Bedds90 said:

I have a bantam and have ridden a borrowed fantic on occasion. 
The fantic brakes are better and the bantam doesn’t have a reed valve so won’t rev and provide as much power for longer hill climbs. Having said that I ride the bantam on modern trials at clubman level and it does manage very well. 
Perhaps the thing which your missing which is what I suffer from and no longer why I have a modern bike is that I can ride most things on the bantam and ride the BMCA british series which gives me best of both. I’ve never really taken to twin shock because the bantam will do it all and enter British events. Classic bikes are also on the up so a British pre 65 will always hold good money long term. 

Youll also find that pre 65 events have easy middle and hard routes that are generally easier. Just don’t forget a “competitive” pre 65 will cost a fair bit more. 

Rich 

Thanks Rich,

What’s the BMCA British series, I don’t know that one? I’m going off at a tangent now but I rode my Fantic at a Golden Valley Classic and Twinshock trial the other week on their Clubman route and had a great time, a day full of ‘real motorbikes’ but those trials are few and far between. I do like that I can ‘do more’ on the modern bike but it’s all rev and squirt and lacks charm. And although I love the Fantic I’m thinking there is more variety and more of a ‘scene’ for the pre 65 bikes. I’d love a Cub but with other trials bikes I’ve found that I get on better with two strokes, hence wondering about a Bantam. Interestingly, (or stupidly), I didn’t realise my Fantic had a reed valve!…. And the brakes, which I keep on top of, are no problem at all….

Guess I need to try and get a ride on one..

If you are prepared to spend the money, a trick bantam is every bit as good as a standard fantic, but will cost 3 times the price.

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 2

The difficult but is educating yourself on what’s good and worth having and what’s unsuitable. I’ve been looking and it’s a bit of a minefield if you don’t know what you’re looking at..

22 hours ago, NoTraction said:

Thanks Rich,

What’s the BMCA British series, I don’t know that one? I’m going off at a tangent now but I rode my Fantic at a Golden Valley Classic and Twinshock trial the other week on their Clubman route and had a great time, a day full of ‘real motorbikes’ but those trials are few and far between. I do like that I can ‘do more’ on the modern bike but it’s all rev and squirt and lacks charm. And although I love the Fantic I’m thinking there is more variety and more of a ‘scene’ for the pre 65 bikes. I’d love a Cub but with other trials bikes I’ve found that I get on better with two strokes, hence wondering about a Bantam. Interestingly, (or stupidly), I didn’t realise my Fantic had a reed valve!…. And the brakes, which I keep on top of, are no problem at all….

Had you thought beyond a Bantam ?  I was observing for a bit of a change at that GV trial. Amongst the entry there were some lovely smokers, Cottons,James and Francis Barnett. Then of course there are also Dot's and Sprites.(Among others)  These often have the later 250 Villiers motors in them. These can be absolutely cracking bikes. But like the Bantams, not cheap if you spec them up. 

There were some lovely bikes there….

I suppose I just said Bantam because they usually look the most ‘trick’, Draytons etc, so thought they were most likely to feel a bit more modern like the Fantic….

It’s a bit of a minefield  with the old bikes unless you’re clued up. To be fair, I’d love a well sorted Cub or C15 but that would be nothing like the Fantic so getting off topic a bit…

Only things "old" in a trick bantam are the engine casings, barrel  and a few other internals! Rest is all brand new. Not saying that's wrong same goes for my c15. Trick bantams perform very well

Later fantic engines had reed valve but not sure what year from and whether the 200 ever did. You can see the mounting on the inlet

Edited by timdog

11 hours ago, NoTraction said:

I had to do a double check, but my 200 has definitely not got reed valve.

Fantics weren't produced with reeds until the 5 series, last air-cooled monos, which was about '89

• Like 2

You don't have to have a Drayton to have a good Bantam . I am coming back to trials after a few years off due to a shoulder injury . I built 2 x Draytons and sold them and I am now putting a Bantam together which has a modified front loop a trials sub frame and wider swing arm which is the same as my original Bantam . There are some good Bantam riders out there who are not on Drayton or Whitton bikes , nothing wrong with either it's just a well sorted Bantam doesn't have to have a "name" on the tank . 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2024 at 6:33 PM, NoTraction said:

Thanks Rich,

Google the BMCA it’s a British trials club. They hold events from autumn to spring most weekends. 
As for the cub and choice of bike it’s up to you but I wouldn’t touch anything other than a bantam to ride competitively. Everything else I’ve had like cubs and C15s are too heavy which really makes a difference on an old bike. Ignore the purists who still think it’s 1973 and everything should cost no more than 5 quid and never ride a trial. 
I have a 500 rigid AJS I occasionally ride which is as close to original as I can get and they still moan. 
Get a bantam, you won’t regret it! 
Rich 

• Like 1