Beta Curious…

Just wondering…

What’s the big deal with Beta Evo 250’s? I’ve gone through a few bikes in recent years and am currently just riding my Twinshock, I don’t have a modern bike right now. Modern bikes, I’ve had a Beta Evo 200, Gas Gas 250, TRS 250RR, all only a couple of years old, all with bits I liked, bits I didn’t. I’m quite happy riding twinshock for the most part but might buy another modern for using when appropriate.

One thing, it was not uncommon to be asked ‘why didn’t you buy a Beta?’, as if it’s the obvious choice. When I had my 200 I found the clutch needed messing around with constantly to stop it sticking and I preferred the handling on the Gas Gas.

So I’m pondering on getting something a few years old now and wondering ‘should I try an Evo 250?’ I don’t know anyone who can lend me one for a decent try out but thought I’d reach out to the community for input before buying something and possibly regretting it as selling bikes in is a pain in the…

What have I been missing out on?

To me, its the same as buying an audi and then having a loyal bmw nut asking you why didnt you buy a bmw. Half the people who say that dont even know why they are riding a beta 250 themselves, they are only riding it because their mate told them theyre the most popular bike. Same goes for montesa, gg owners etc. Personally, i dont like the way they steer, or the engine, but some people love the flat power delivery and some love the way they steer (mostly people who cant hop, because they have the smallest turning circle). If youve had a beta 200 youve experienced close enough to first hand what a beta 250 will be like. I wouldnt worry a thought about what other people say, in fact if youve had a mix of bikes you may find youre more qualified to compare bikes than the people saying. Some people are so brand loyal they wont even have a ride on another make if someone offers them a go, yet are still adamant the bike they ride is the best. Beta are also the cheapest out of the crate (in the UK at least), that may have more effect on numbers than some people want to admit. No harm in trying a test ride on one though

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

Brand loyalty is a huge factor I’d say, I ride Trails on my KTM but could easily do the same on a Yamaha etc, KTM seemed to be readily available with good spares backup (and they do break!)

I don’t ride trials but am on the hunt for a bike to play on and improve my trail riding, the Betas seem to be the most available but perhaps that’s because people buy them and then realise they need something else?

good thread.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I see, that makes perfect sense… I’m not a particularly intrepid rider, Sportsman/Middle route sometimes depending on the day… so won’t be doing much hopping….

Things I liked about the Beta 200. It started easy, power was mellow, erm ….It started easy… (did I just say that?). I didn’t like how it would tuck under so easily…

the Gas Gas … it felt more stable to me, the build quality was good as far as I could see, the fuel tank lifted out… I didn’t like starting it after it had been upside down on a bank… enter the TRS with Estart (Didn’t like the noisy clutch and the wires hanging out everywhere. Regardless what people say, I didn’t think it was that well finished…jerky rattling clutch…)

So assuming there’s nothing special about the Evo 250 I may just get another Gasser..

Edited by NoTraction

51 minutes ago, NoTraction said:

I didn’t like how it would tuck under so easily…

Same here. They have steep steering, which is why some clubmen love them, they turn tight. If youre good enough to hop, then this isnt a deal breaker, as most of your turns arent made at full lock. The new GG has steeper steering than the pre 23 model. Still not as twitchy as a beta though. Im lucky enough to be rather tall so starting a gg isnt a big deal but i fully acknowledge they certainly arent the easiest

7 minutes ago, NoTraction said:

Have the changed the geometry on the new GG’s then? I didn’t realise that.. I guess that will be a different beast again then….

They mentioned it in their list of changes, 'different geometry', and ive heard people say that they went steeper more beta like, which was the only way they could have went. Ive only had a short 5 minute ride on one of the new ones. I wasnt in a hurry to jump off it, and if someone hadnt of told me about the steering i probably wouldnt have noticed.

Edited by faussy

29 minutes ago, faussy said:

They mentioned it in their list of changes, 'different geometry', and ive heard people say that they went steeper more beta like, which was the only way they could have went. Ive only had a short 5 minute ride on one of the new ones. I wasnt in a hurry to jump off it, and if someone hadnt of told me about the steering i probably wouldnt have noticed.

What do you normally ride (bike and level)?

I've owned/ridden Gas Gas TXT Pro, Scorpa Twenty and now on my third Beta Evo.  I couldn't consistently start the Gas Gas, with me being being short of stature, and the Scorpa 250 was a little too sharp on the power.... I ended up with a Beta 200, though I could just as easily ride the 250. There was an adjustment to the geometry, but now I like it. The secret to making it not push and tuck.... is stay back a little and centered. If you lean on the front end too much, it will push. Being easy to start, and smooth power are hard not to like. The clutch tends to be all over the place on stiffness of lever pull and action. My friend's '21 Factory 250 is very light pull and smooth action. All mine have been stiff and quick. A larger diameter slave cylinder fixes mine.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, nhuskys said:

I've owned/ridden Gas Gas TXT Pro, Scorpa Twenty and now on my third Beta Evo.  I couldn't consistently start the Gas Gas, with me being being short of stature, and the Scorpa 250 was a little too sharp on the power.... I ended up with a Beta 200, though I could just as easily ride the 250. There was an adjustment to the geometry, but now I like it. The secret to making it not push and tuck.... is stay back a little and centered. If you lean on the front end too much, it will push. Being easy to start, and smooth power are hard not to like. The clutch tends to be all over the place on stiffness of lever pull and action. My friend's '21 Factory 250 is very light pull and smooth action. All mine have been stiff and quick. A larger diameter slave cylinder fixes mine.

I believe the Factory versions have a different/better clutch.

I also prefer my twinshock, Honda TLR, just makes me smile. However as i get less young it's becoming harder at certain venues. So it's back to a modern bike for some trials. Had beta 4ts and a beta 250(non factory) in the past. Leaving aside my love of 4 strokes, i found the beta easy to ride, smooth power but nothing special (i dont NEED special as I'm not a special rider, just having fun). Poor back brake and clutch.

Tried a sherco but too sharp for my liking, had a vertigo dl250 recently and it was excellent in every way but sold it to a family member when I wasn't using it as he preferred it to his beta 200. I tried his 200 and didn't like it at all. Just personal opinion but compared to vertigo it just felt like a step backwards. I prefer more low down torque, 200 felt too revvy to me, same way i don't like a 125.

Now I have a TRS 250 one R not the RR. Love it! Power is so smooth clutch is a dream so are brakes suspension etc. Feels very planted and easy to steer, fairly light feeling front end but not overly so. Maybe a good rider could fault it or want the sharper RR but I'm sticking with this bike

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I just sold my TRS250RR electric start model last week. I'd fitted a low comp head insert and tweaked a few bits to calm it down (couldn't find an 'R' when I wanted one) and it was a good bike. But I get bored and i wanted to ride the Fantic more so it went to someone more deserving of the electric leg!

Sounds like me!  I get bored of modern bikes and keep going back to the old  one. I had a RR actually, back in 2018, the new oneR is v different. Watch this space, give it 12 months ill be tempted back to a beta 4t