Beta Evo 250 Factory (2021) vs TRS 300 Raga (2018)

Hi guys, 

I would like to buy my first trials bike, but here (in Malta) we are not spoilt for choice, basically there’s 3 second hand trials bikes for sale on the whole island.

One is beaten up, the other two are the beta evo 250 factory with 4-5 hours on it (!) practically new, the other one is the trs 300r 2018 model, used by a local competitor guy.

I wish I could find a 125/200cc bike to start on, but it’s not an option.

the difference between the bikes is the price, the TRS i could buy, the Evo factory is 2500€ more expensive, and that difference I don’t have unless I get a loan.

i’m planning to keep the bike long term, would appreciate some input, subjective opinions, who would buy which one and for what reason.

thanks, Ben

The 250 Beta is a very mellow machine. Much better first bike than the 300 TRS. 

The bike in the best condition is usually the better buy no matter the price. It will last longer and you will be riding instead of waiting for parts.

• Thanks 1

Wouldn't recommend the 300 as a starter bike.250 beta perfect in terms of power delivery. Factory has better brakes/suspension. I would recommend making sure it has a black tube slow throttle under the grip. The TRS is a lovely bike but the 300 is a lot more "feisty"

• Thanks 1

If price wasn’t an issue, I wouldn’t even have opened the topic :)  I was basically curious whether the fact that the beta is a new bike, worth the extra cost or since the trs seems to be a fair deal for 3000€ (maybe can negotiate a slightly lower price), would I be able to start on it with slow throttle, etc?

So far it seems that you guys are pushing me towards the beta 🙂 

Some background, not too much off road experience, but riding bikes since I was 12, now I’m 42. Worked as a motorbike courier and for 6 years as an instructor.

I had a 2018 250 trsRR, very nice bike, more "snappy" than 250 beta but v nice bike to ride, great brakes and suspension. Felt very p!anted, tried a 300, tons of lovely low end torque and great for an expert but it would of easily got away from me. Is the one you're looking at a RR or a one. You could also look at adding a base gasket. Side by side if they were same price/condition the beta would get most peoples recommendation in your situation.

Sometimes you don't have the luxury of buying the perfect bike, but if you plan on keeping it long term then the newer beta also makes sense.. It will always be able to do anything you want it too, extra spec of factory model is a bonus

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the info, in that case I’ll see what I can do about the financial side as the beta seems to be the logical choice. 
Didn’t want to rush into buying the 300 (RR model, Raga replica) and then not being able to use it, or dropping it more often than not..:)

Have to balance out financial side too. Up to you if you want to justify paying cash or needing finance, Beta should just need routine servicing TRS depends on how its been maintained and ridden, bearings linkeages etc. Even needing a set of tyres adds up quickly.

Some do start on a 300 and cope well.. My brother in law at 63 started on a beta 200, everyone says it's perfect for a new starter.. But he tried my 250 vertigo and loved it so bought it off me. some said it was way too much bike but he did better and has come on quicker on that. Be good if you could try the TRS 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2024 at 4:40 PM, rottarbence said:

Hi guys, 

I would like to buy my first trials bike, but here (in Malta) we are not spoilt for choice, basically there’s 3 second hand trials bikes for sale on the whole island.

One is beaten up, the other two are the beta evo 250 factory with 4-5 hours on it (!) practically new, the other one is the trs 300r 2018 model, used by a local competitor guy.

I wish I could find a 125/200cc bike to start on, but it’s not an option.

the difference between the bikes is the price, the TRS i could buy, the Evo factory is 2500€ more expensive, and that difference I don’t have unless I get a loan.

i’m planning to keep the bike long term, would appreciate some input, subjective opinions, who would buy which one and for what reason.

thanks, Ben

I can’t speak for TRS but Beta is by far one of the most popular brands for a reason. In my experience they are low maintenance and one of the easier bikes to work on yourself. parts are usually easier to get hold of too. The factory bike doesn’t really offer any better performance over the evo, I find there is generally better quality bits on it such as brake & clutch levers, grips and front forks. 

Edited by Greasemonkey367
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the info guys, there was quite an unanimous opinion towards the Beta. 
in the end i went to see both of them today, didn’t get to ride any of them though. Both sellers seemed genuine, the trs was in a used but good condition, would have bought it if it wasn’t for the Beta, which is practically new.

In addition, it is road legal with a number plate. Not that I plan to commute on it, but at least in the vicinity I can go around to find some spots to practice.

Bit the bullet, managed to sort the financial side and called the owner, that I’ll take it. Will upload some pics once I get it.

Thanks again for all the input!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, rottarbence said:

Thanks for all the info guys, there was quite an unanimous opinion towards the Beta. 
in the end i went to see both of them today, didn’t get to ride any of them though. Both sellers seemed genuine, the trs was in a used but good condition, would have bought it if it wasn’t for the Beta, which is practically new.

In addition, it is road legal with a number plate. Not that I plan to commute on it, but at least in the vicinity I can go around to find some spots to practice.

Bit the bullet, managed to sort the financial side and called the owner, that I’ll take it. Will upload some pics once I get it.

Thanks again for all the input!

Enjoy!!!

• Like 2

Hey guys,

just got the bike today, went out for a short practice session…like with everything, on YouTube it looked easier 😂

it was my first time on a trial bike (tried a montesa cota 315r almost 10years ago) it was interesting, how much I don’t have balance, which i thought i had 🙂

Anyway, promised a few pics, here you are:

IMG_4427.jpeg

IMG_4428.jpeg

IMG_4429.jpeg

• Like 2

Beta looks mint,  You have certainly made the right decision, It will last years and they ride lovely, turn on a sixpence and are the easiest bike to ride in my opinion,With a bit of maintanance wont cost alot to run.  

• Like 1