I've Seen The Future Of Trials.

cota kid

Having watched the performance of the British youth at Nigran Spain. I am optimistic that British trials has a future at World Level, post Lampkin. (when he eventually hangs up his Alpine Stars. Mind you thats a few years away and at least one more world title).

I was expecting the general level of Spanish or Italian riders to be higher than the British, but it was the reverse. Imagine what it would be like if the likes of the ACU supported our youth as much as the RFME do for the Spaniards.

Lastly credit most go to TC for their support.

Was that before or after the 15 cervezas and Dougie's champagne? :beer:

Joking apart, I agree.

Both James and Michael can go far. They've both got the ability and have got the backing and dedication of a great team with Top Trial Team - backing that a lot of riders don't have. If they stay focused then there's no reason they can't be right up there.

As far as Wiggy and Ross go, Ross was unlucky on Sunday, but these things happen. General concensus was it did Wiggy no harm to come second - in fact probably did a lot of good. No disrespect to Ross or any of the other British Youth riders, but Wiggy is well ahead of the game as far as UK Youth Trials goes. This is a different league and knowing Alexz, it'll just motivate him more to get back on top.

I suppose I should mention that Lampkin guy too. :beer: He's well fired up and having James back has made a big difference. No disrespect to Hemmo - in fact he took on a bloody tough job last year and if it hadn't been for the fall in France, who knows what could have happened. However, Doug and James were together for so long prior to that, it must be a confidence boost for him. He wants that eighth title and a more determined bugger I've never met. The bike is going well and they're constantly innovating so he's definitely in with a good shout at doing it.

I thought Wiggy rode with great maturity and looked so confident on what was a very difficult trial.

As for Doug, probably the big step on section 4 cost him the trial.

It would have been great to have hung around a few days after the trial to have watched the riders practising the sections. I reckon Doug will have persisted up that section 4.

Forgive me if I missed something in the excellent coverage of these events, but what did happen to Ross on Sunday?  Everything okay, I trust.

I guess it's no real secret and will be talked about anyway. My understanding is - He broke the swinging arm on his bike, tried to swap to a different bike and got busted for it. Naughty, but the other riders said they'd have done exactly the same thing. One of those things.

Forgive me if I missed something in the excellent coverage of these events, but what did happen to Ross on Sunday?  Everything okay, I trust.

I guess it's no real secret and will be talked about anyway. My understanding is - He broke the swinging arm on his bike, tried to swap to a different bike and got busted for it. Naughty, but the other riders said they'd have done exactly the same thing. One of those things.

So why did'nt they just change the swinging arm over, or was'nt there enough time.

So why did'nt they just change the swinging arm over, or was'nt there enough time.

No idea. That's just what I was told at the event. Could be complete bollocks, but given the results said "disqualified" as opposed to "retired", something happened.

Having watched the performance of the British youth at Nigran Spain. I am optimistic that British trials has a future at World Level, post Lampkin. (when he eventually hangs up his Alpine Stars. Mind you thats a few years away and at least one more world title).

I was expecting the general level of Spanish or Italian riders to be higher than the British, but it was the reverse. Imagine what it would be like if the likes of the ACU supported our youth as much as the RFME do for the Spaniards.

Lastly credit most go to TC for their support.

On a more serious note (for a change) i ride at scarborough and the amount of young riders up there in all weathers with dads (or mums sometimes) helping and cajolling their youngsters is amazing and i am sure this is this same across the land and whilst we may not have the same level of support from the ACU as the youf get elsewhere in europe i think it is fabulous and heartening and an amazing lesson to people, as these are the people who get britains youth riders where they are today.

I for one take my hat off to all you trials parents who sacrifice time and money on producing what are hopefully going to be THE best in the world very soon indeed :beer:

Rant over, cheers.

Nevertheless, Good Lad! Against the rules it may have been, but there's no shame in wanting to carry on after something like that.

Not picking up on the quote above, but there was a similar discussion on the SSDT forum about 'Cheating' :thumbup:

Not sure what the score is a at WTC level, I'm sure someone will know on here :), but if it was a gainst the rules then it is cheating.

So do the people on here support his actions, but not the people that endevour to finnish the SSDT at all costs, just a thought

What would I have done in Ross's boots(chance to ride half as good as him would be good), probably exactly the same :beer::beer:

I dont think that introducing the SSDT is particularily relevent to the discussion here.

however to change a swinging arm within the constraints of the time limt of 2 hours for a complete lap of 17k and havig the top lads around aswell would have been impossible in the extereme IMHO. Apart from that, as the swinging arm is not a marked part it is perfectly acceptable to change it.

Apart from that, as the swinging arm is not a marked part it is perfectly acceptable to change it.

Totally agree, but he didn't did he :) It has been said that he changed bikes.

My point being, whether it relates to WTC or the SSDT or any other high ranked trial the rules were bent.

Relating it to a discussion only, I have the feeling that there was some serious critisism about people cheating in the SSDT, but at WTC level it seems to be OK :beer::beer:

Mr Dabster this is a forum open for discussion, thankyou for your comments, but would you be so bold as to give us an answer...........

Not picking up on the quote above, but there was a similar discussion on the SSDT forum about 'Cheating' :beer:

Not sure what the score is a at WTC level, I'm sure someone will know on here :beer:, but if it was a gainst the rules then it is cheating.

No, to change the swinging arm wouldn't have been cheating.

SSDT and WTC are very different, and in open discussion as I said before, again IMHO, one is not the same as the other.

Anyway back on topic the young lads look on it here in portugal the sections are wet and slippery so heres hoping that Ross gets a bit of luck go his way and the youths get 123 and stuff it up Johnny foreigner. Browny can win again and dabill top ten would make this trip more than worthwhile.

oh yes Go Dougie!