Sammy Miller Leavers

scott_king

Miller levers have always been like that. Amazes me people still buy them from him. :blink:

Suppose knowing Sammy if they bent instead of breaking he wouldnt sell them as no repeat business. If youve ever been to his place and been "served" by him you will know what i mean. :wall:

Could tell you a few stories but wont.

I always use Trialsbits.co.uk if i can as at least Amanda trys to give good prompt service and her prices are competitive and she's always polite. Even when i have a rant. Then again i am a Grumpy Old Man. :D

If you drop a Trials bike the chances are you may break a lever no matter what they are made of. In defence of Sammy Miller I can tell you that I have been dealing with him for over 30 years and get the best service from him. If I order on a Friday I get the shipments the following Friday - via parcel post and I live in Canada ( Over 7,000 miles away) - Sammy does not suffer fools gladly ( that is a quote from somebody writing about the 11 time British Champion) - But then again neither do I - Cheers Outlaw Dave Vernon BC Canada

no comment on Miller parts. :wall:

however they can make levers that bend rather than break - its just that you need more expensive alloys - if you run modern bikes try these.levers

also dont fully tighten the clamps so that they can turn on the bars when they are hit - not too loose though!

To be honest i dont really think you are in any position to blame Sammy Miller for the levers breaking. What do you expect to happen if the bike is knocked off its stand ?

I have dealt with Sammy miller for all my spares for the last 14 years and have always had excellent service.

As for the comments on his mannor whilst dealing with customers in his shop, i doubt anyone involved in the motorcycle trade has as many people competing for their time as he does. I wonder would the people posting such comments be able to run a mail order business, a shop, bike museum, restoration workshop, fly all over the world competing and showing bikes whilst still giving up as much time as people require from him. I very much doubt it. Its always very easy to criticise someone who is well known and very successful, but who else can say they have acheived anything close to that level ?

:blink:

Sammy's a top trials rider and has an excellent head for business.He has dedicated his life to trials and always does things as best he can. Lets face it quality sells for years and years but tatt doesnt.

How he can be blamed in any way for levers breaking on a bike that falls over , i dont know. :D

I'd be gutted as well, but its not the fault of the leversy or Sammy .Just dont drop it next time. :wall:

Two things my old man once said to me.

"Manners especially in business costs nothing"

and

"The world doesnt owe you a living. Nobody has to buy anything from you."

Always remembered that.

My previous comments were based on trading with SHM for 38 years. I have bought his SM levers twice. Both times they broke when the bike was droped in a trial. Both times the levers snaped clean and the "metal" showed an obvious crystaline structure. They were very very difficult to weld even using TiG. My welding friend worked for Rolls Royce Aero and did know his stuff.

However i do not "blame" Sam he is a businessman as i stated before. His levers are sold on price however i quote from his 2006 catalogue page 10 "SM levers: these are one of our top sellers. A strong lever with a two piece clamp. They are available with black or white blades and spare blades are available seperately." The only levers he sells where he states "they are very forgiving and bend rather than break." are the Amal ones. By the way the spare blades are just as bad as the complete levers. Wonder how many spare levers they sell? Perhaps they are also "one of our best sellers".

A trials bike by it's very nature will be dropped or fall over. I think you are now aware of the shortcomings of SM levers.

The mans trials sucesses speak for themselves and i did not comment on them nor did i comment on his museum or his business empire. Good Luck to him. I personally choose to shop elsewhere whenever possible based on my personal dealings with him in the past. I agree his turn round and delivery is usually good but his and some of his staffs telephone manner would not be in line with current tele sales training proceedures shall i say. Before you ask i work in a National telephone sales operation.

In the end you pays your money and takes your choice especially when it comes to who you spend it with. Anecdotal advice on this board is only meant to help others hopefully not make the mistakes we had to learn from.

There are old fashioned, when it comes to friendly service, dealers out there you can choose to shop with them or not.

Please however do not try to spin or re interpret my previous posting.

Legs youre probably right mate. :wall:

No i dont. My post was simply my opinion on the matter being discussed. The views i offered were from my frequent experiances of visiting the shop or using the mail order service. I personally have had only good service from them. I feel that a lot of successful people are unfairly criticised in many situations, so i was merely offering my support for someone i respect.

I'm sure Sammy is one of the biggest things that happened to trials over the years, but the miserable sod he had working for him in the spares department has stopped me buying anything off him for the past 3 years.

I'd rather go without. Most the stuff I'm after is available elsewhere.

It's so easy in Britain to excel in customer service, because most of it is so pi$$ poor, but drop below the basic level, and you can sod off in my book :)

To show that I'm not such a miserable sod :) Here's some of the people I've had excellent (well above the expected) customer service from. They're not ones I have to think of, they're things that I distinctly remember because they did Excel:

A&B Motorsport in Merthyr

GasGas UK

Malcolm Rathmell

Trialcast

Trialsbits.co.uk

Graham at David Jones Newtown - (I can take or leave some of them, but he's putting in the 100%, and importantly he's the trials man there).

Steve Goode

No i dont. My post was simply my opinion on the matter being discussed. The views i offered were from my frequent experiances of visiting the shop or using the mail order service. I personally have had only good service from them. I feel that a lot of successful people are unfairly criticised in many situations, so i was merely offering my support for someone i respect.

New user, first post here etc. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but I'm afraid you're going to have a credibility problem launching on the defensive/offensive on your first post. A lot of the guys here have posted for a long time and, as such, are going to take a bit more convincing...